Google Voice - questions and concerns

stevens_5

Reaction score
i recently added GV to my Moto Droid and therefore have it on my computer as well. when i am "composing" a text from GV on my phone, will it appear to the other person as coming from my GV number? is there anyway they can trace it back to my actual mobile number that i have? also, my friends list on Gmail.com, can they see that i set this up/view my GV number? (basically is it traceable back to ME unless i tell people otherwise..) trying to organize this all so im not getting all kinds of notifications and have a bunch of Gmail mail when i get back on my computer. thanks!

dclutter1

Reaction score
I don't use GV very often so I'm not completely up to date on it but, I'm pretty sure that outgoing text messages are sent from your actual number.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How your Google Voice works, receives texts, etc depends on how you have it set up on you settings on your Google Voice page. If you have it set up so it doesn't forward a text to your Verizon account then nobody will see it but you.

Most people go to their setting on their phone tab and disable forwarding of text so that it doesn't get counted on your Verizon bill.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't use GV very often so I'm not completely up to date on it but, I'm pretty sure that outgoing text messages are sent from your actual number.

No, not if you have it set up correctly it will send text from your Google Voice number. Text that is sent out does not use the Verizon phone network, it uses the data network so it cannot be counted as a text.

dclutter1

Reaction score
No, not if you have it set up correctly it will send text from your Google Voice number. Text that is sent out does not use the Verizon phone network, it uses the data network so it cannot be counted as a text.
Well then, I stand corrected. Perhaps I'll take a closer look at GV :p

It comes in handy from time to time to send text messages when I'm at work where I have no reception (like now :( ).

Last edited:
OP
S

stevens_5

Reaction score
soooo, on Gmail.com on my COMPUTER i have the box unchecked to forward it to my mobile number..does that mean if anyone tries to contact my GV number i will only be able to read the text when im at my computer? again, im not using my GV number as my primary way of calling/texting people at all, i just kinda have it..pranks i guess or just to contact people if needed

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
soooo, on Gmail.com on my COMPUTER i have the box unchecked to forward it to my mobile number..does that mean if anyone tries to contact my GV number i will only be able to read the text when im at my computer? again, im not using my GV number as my primary way of calling/texting people at all, i just kinda have it..pranks i guess or just to contact people if needed

No it will come in as a text on Google voice on your phone and computer. It just won't go through Verizon. If you check that box then it will go through Verizon and be counted as a text.

You can also read your messages on your computer on your Google Voice page.

bje1982

Reaction score

If you use GV for text it uses your GV number.. If someone texts your GV number you can have it forward to your mobile number or your email or both. If you have the Google Voice app on your phone the messeges can be viewed there. As far as calls it uses a gateway number to make calls which does use your Verizon minutes.

dclutter1

Reaction score
You know, I think I was confused because the last thing I read was that handcent can't send txts through your GV number. Is that still true?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you use GV for text it uses your GV number.. If someone texts your GV number you can have it forward to your mobile number or your email or both. If you have the Google Voice app on your phone the messeges can be viewed there. As far as calls it uses a gateway number to make calls which does use your Verizon minutes.

If it is forwarded to his mobile number, it will count as a text. Please, let's try and keep it simple.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, I think I was confused because the last thing I read was that handcent can't send txts through your GV number. Is that still true?

handcent is a regular text app so it would go through your Verizon account.

OP
S

stevens_5

Reaction score
thanks for the help so far, im just trying to set it up and have confidence in it so i dont have to worry. i use ChompSMS by the way...but i just texted a friend to test it and on my GV app i cant find where my Sent/Received texts are.. im also here at my computer and on Gmail it should my "hey" message i sent him...whats going on there?

also, the sync and notifications...if i uncheck that on my Phone in Settings, does that mean if i delete it on my phone it will NOT be deleted from my computer GV Gmail profile?

LASTLY (SO SORRY) i checked my Gmail GV settings on my computer and this is what i have: Alert me when I have new voicemails (checked to my e-mail), send a text SMS message to mobile (checked), and text forwarding to my e-mail (checked). So should i uncheck everything so it just stays on my phone and i only get my voicemail notifications sent to my Gmail account (everything else on my phone)? again, i do NOT plan on having my GV number as my regular phone number, nor for anyone to really know i have it...its just there and here for me if i need it and whatnot. so unless it gets used, its going to be by ME and not by any incoming calls or texts..

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help so far, im just trying to set it up and have confidence in it so i dont have to worry. i use ChompSMS by the way...but i just texted a friend to test it and on my GV app i cant find where my Sent/Received texts are.. im also here at my computer and on Gmail it should my "hey" message i sent him...whats going on there?

also, the sync and notifications...if i uncheck that on my Phone in Settings, does that mean if i delete it on my phone it will NOT be deleted from my computer GV Gmail profile?

LASTLY (SO SORRY) i checked my Gmail GV settings on my computer and this is what i have: Alert me when I have new voicemails (checked to my e-mail), send a text SMS message to mobile (checked), and text forwarding to my e-mail (checked). So should i uncheck everything so it just stays on my phone and i only get my voicemail notifications sent to my Gmail account (everything else on my phone)? again, i do NOT plan on having my GV number as my regular phone number, nor for anyone to really know i have it...its just there and here for me if i need it and whatnot. so unless it gets used, its going to be by ME and not by any incoming calls or texts..

First, your text will be on your Google Voice page, not your gmail page.
Uncheck email unless you want a double notification. Trust me, you dont.
Uncheck send a text sms message to mobile. That will get you a text charged to Verizon.

If you want notification of VM sent from your GV account then leave it checked. I don't, I use Verizons Voice Mail but that doesn't mean you have to.

OP
S

stevens_5

Reaction score
i am sticking with my Verizon default voicemail.

i also have my Gmail and regular Email set up on my phone, but i rarely actually get the notifications when i receive e-mails i actually have to open the icon and have them load to see...do you recommend any app for that?

thanks for the help, i think i have it all set up now..just to clarify like you said, my GV account/number isnt associated or actually linked to my Gmail profile/account..its on its own webpage correct?

Taegost

Reaction score

To clarify: Kinda sorta, but not really.
If you set it on the GV settings page online to forward texts to your Mobile number, here is the chain of events:

1) Bob texts your GV number
2) GV takes the text, and forwards it to your cell
3) Handcent receives the text as normal, except it is from a different phone number, and it has the persons name if they're in your contact list (i.e. Bob: Where u @?)
4) If you respond using Handcent, it will send it to GV, which will then forward it to the person

Now, when you use it this way, everyone that sends you a text will show up in your texts as a DIFFERENT PHONE NUMBER. All mine come through with a 972 area code. If you add that number to your contact for that person, you can then send the text messages to that number, and they'll get it, seeing only your GV number.

If, on the other hand, you have it set to not forward text messages, when Bob sends the text, it doesn't get forwarded to Handcent, you need to use the Google Voice app to send/receive messages.

Now, with that being said, has anyone had any issues using the GV app to make outgoing phone calls via the access number lately? For the last few days, maybe 10% of all my calls go through using it :(