Google Voice question?

B

budmonster

I just signed up for Google Voice, I picked the "Using a non-Google number" option. This option is free right? This is what I get since I chose that option:

Google voicemail
, International calling, Voicemail transcription, Custom Voicemail Greetings and Mobile apps

From what I read, I'm getting the idea that the option I chose is free, but I just want to make sure. I don't think anything above cost money, since I'm on the unlimited data plan from Verizon. All I want to do is keep getting my voicemails sent to my phone and to my email like it has been doing. Google voicemail has now replaced my Verizon voicemail, so I have to call a (717) xxx-xxx number to record my greetings and check vmails. Does that cost money to use or is the same thing as my Verizon voicemail?

Last edited by a moderator:

howzball

Reaction score
Google Voice is free. No matter if you choose one of their numbers or not.

Honestly, I would choose the number option because it's in addition to the voice mail option and anyway, you don't have to use the number if you don't want. It's just an added feature.

You shouldn't have to call anything to get your voice mail, it should be send as both a text message and a audio file straight to your email address.

kenbarnum

Reaction score
I just signed up for Google Voice, I picked the "Using a non-Google number" option. This option is free right? This is what I get since I chose that option:

Google voicemail, International calling, Voicemail transcription, Custom Voicemail Greetings and Mobile apps

From what I read, I'm getting the idea that the option I chose is free, but I just want to make sure. I don't think anything above cost money, since I'm on the unlimited data plan from Verizon. All I want to do is keep getting my voicemails sent to my phone and to my email like it has been doing. Google voicemail has now replaced my Verizon voicemail, so I have to call a (717) xxx-xxx number to record my greetings and check vmails. Does that cost money to use or is the same thing as my Verizon voicemail?

Get the Google Voice app from the market, use the settings to tell it not to make calls using google voice. International calls through gvoice cost money.

OP
B

budmonster

Google Voice is free. No matter if you choose one of their numbers or not.

Honestly, I would choose the number option because it's in addition to the voice mail option and anyway, you don't have to use the number if you don't want. It's just an added feature.

You shouldn't have to call anything to get your voice mail, it should be send as both a text message and a audio file straight to your email address.

People that choose to have Google Voice number, usually have more the one phone in their house. I only use my cell phone which is used for home too.

All I wanted was to be able to get my vmails sent to my Gmail inbox and to my phone through text messaging, get vmails transcripts, etc. I get all of those from that option. I have the unlimited data plan from Verizon so all my text are free.

So Google Voicemail is pretty much like Verizon Voicemail except GV has extra options. GV uses minutes up, correct? Verizon vmail does too I believe. I don't see where I have to pay extra? I don't believe I have to?

You said I shouldt have to call my voicemail, b/c there sent to me as texts, emails and to my GV app from the market. But, when I press "1" on my phone, it now goes to Google Voicemail, but not my Verizon voicemail anymore. But I'm still using my Verizon number.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV uses minutes unless you're using the F&F approach or a VOIP solution in conjunction with it.

You can play voicemail message via the GV app and via the GV site. You don't need to dial voicemail.

OP
B

budmonster

GV uses minutes unless you're using the F&F approach or a VOIP solution in conjunction with it.

You can play voicemail message via the GV app and via the GV site. You don't need to dial voicemail.

I had to dial Google voicemail to record my message. if you got my voicemail, a standard greeting from Google would be played. I had to create my own.

I know I can check messages via GV app and GMAIL app on my phone. What I'm asking is this. If I need to call my Google voicemail number, it uses up my minutes, correct? Well, Verizon voicemail also uses airtime minutes to check messages. So there both pretty much the same except GV has extra features.

What I'm really wondering is, why is my Verizon voicemail gone? Whenever I press "1" on my keypad it takes me to my Google Voice mailbox instead of Verizon. Is that normal?