Google Voice Question

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by Shadez, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Ok I searched the forums, and are a ton of threads for this, but I just have one question, so not going to go thru all the threads.

I have an invite now, if I choose a new google number, will my old # still work, I mean, will both #s work to call my cell?

Thanks!
  2. khelek

khelek New Member

I assume that when you say "both numbers", you're talking your GV number and your VZW cell phone number, and "old #" doesn't reference another GV number.

Yes, both numbers will still work. I know of some people being able to choose their Google number as their cell phone number, but I have both a VZW number and a GV number.

I use my VZW number when dialing another VZW user or with people I don't mind having my direct cell phone number. I use my GV number as my "home" number and hand it out to people I don't necessarily want being able call my cell phone directly.

Similarly, for text messaging, I use VZW text messaging for other people within Verizon, and use GV text messaging for those outside Verizon (or, when I'm feeling lazy, and it's quicker to just send the text through voice.google.com on the computer than pick up my phone and type).

Welcome to the club!
  3. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks much! Good idea, I'm gonna do the same.. so here goes nothing.. :)
  4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Yup, think of your GV number as an alias. It forwards calls to whatever other phone numbers you specify.

Don't skip over reading the GV threads. They're full of useful information.