Google Voice Question (Free Texts and Number porting from Verizon)

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by magnus, Dec 9, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus New Member

I've heard that You can get free text messages by using Google Voice. I've searched for it but haven't come across any new articles from back when Google Voice was still invite only.

Here are my questions:
    - With Google voice, is it possible to get free texting to replace carrier text plans. This is what I'm looking for in Google Voice Texting:
    ------ Free incoming and outgoing
    ------ Instant send and receive (I do know that initially Google Voice would poll only every 5 minutes, is that still the case?......I sometimes have 'chat' conversations over text
    ------ MMS support?
    ------ Notifications on phone

- As far as porting a number for $20. Has anybody tried doing that from Verizon. I'm thinking of porting my existing numbers from Verizon to GV so that I don't have to tell everybody I changed my number.
    ------ Can you port a number from verizon without affecting contract status? I'm not on contract now.....but don't want to lose my unlimited data...and looking to get back into a 2 year with a new phone.

Thank you!!!
  2. sst45jeff

sst45jeff Member

This is what l have learned lately.
    If you port you number to Google you have canceled your contract & have to sign up for a new contract and number for your phone so you have service to forward your google number too.
    The only reason I can see to port your number is if you don't want to go through the hassle of telling everyone you have a new number.
    If you fail to tell someone your new number, you existing carrier phone number will still ring through as well as your Google voice number.
    :
    Texting is totally free & you don't need a carrier plan. Just make sure you do not check the box to forward text to your phone in the set up menu.
    No waiting it is instant now.
    No mms yet (pictures)
Search tags for this page
free texting free number porting
getting verizon text messages in google voice
google voice android free text
google voice for verizon android -voicemail

google voice free text

google voice verizon text free
how to tell if someone has a google voice number
text verizon numbers free
verizon free voice and text