Google Voice Problem

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay guys heres what im dealing with

I activated my google voice account so I can get my voicemails in text form. it activated fine but I used my brothers phone to try to leave me a voicemail, and I ran into a problem

when it gets to the voicemail, it prompts me to enter the number (my number) im calling and then press the pound key

I know a lot of people dont actually know my number(they just have it stored in their phone) so i feel this poses an inconvenience. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

timlitw

Reaction score
It is asking for the number they are calling from - to give you the reciever a caller id. You can go into google voice on the web and turn off this setting It is called call screening and is on the calls setting page at the top. if that is not it - try re-recording and selecting your outgoing message.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i cant seem to find where your talking about for call screening

i have settings on my GV but the tabs are phone, voicemail, groups, widgets, billing, and account but I cant find it in any of those.

any further help?

timlitw

Reaction score
I have a calls tab between voicemail and groups. But now I see that it turns on and off asking the caller to say thier name, not put in the phone number - are they calling your google voice number or are they calling your cell phone which is set to forward to google voice voicemail?

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have it set up to call my original cell phone number but my voicemail is changed to use google services.

timlitw

Reaction score
try redoing your forwarding - it might be a problem with that, *71 and then your 10 digit Google voice number

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no finally fixed it yay! i changed my google number so the area code matches my phones area code (it changed it for me due to my current location - idk y) and i got the tab. YaY