Google Voice . mobile to mobile, and air time charges

ianlin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

Currently, I have my mobile number forwarded to my GV account. I did it to bypass Verizon voicemail, so all my voicemail would be in one place. The transcript is a nice feature too. My questions is regarding airtime charges. I know that forwarded calls are charged airtime. But do the airtime charges follow normal Verizon rules? For example, if my wife calls me from her Verizon phone, this would normally be a mobile to mobile call and do not count against my monthly minutes. But since my number is forwarded to GV, does this become a non M2M call, thus use up anytime minutes? Does it matter if I answer the call or not?

What about nights and weekends? These calls are normally free, but does Verizon charge me airtime because my number is forwarded to GV?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry I don't have much of an answer for you because I don't use GV. I would think you should be able to test this pretty easily though by tracking your minutes on the Verizon website. Record your minutes, make a few test calls and see if they go up.

I thought the whole point to GV was you could add your actual phone number to the GV account so they could call that and it would go to all the phones you have on there. Course I guess you would still run into the problem of does VZ consider the GV number a cell phone, maybe call them and hope you get one of the reps that actually has some knowledge if no one else on here can help you.

Sorry it is not much of an answer, just wanted to make sure someone at least acknowledged your post. Again welcome here.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi ianlin. Welcome to Droid Forums! I use google voice and I am pretty certain that it does count towards your minutes. The one thing I am not sure of is if someone calls your actual verizon # that is forwarded to GV. Like sydman suggested, give yourself a few test calls then log into your verizon account and you can look up call details (usually all phone calls are updated daily so might take a day before the calls appear in call details). From there you should be able to tell whether it counts towards your minutes or considered mobile to mobile minutes. You should not rack up minutes during nights and wkends though.

This may work for you as an alternative. I only want to get voicemails from certain people ( employees, family, very close friends and some business contacts). Sounds rude but I hate getting senseless voicemails from every random person that calls my phone. I can see their missed call and call them back when I am able. So I keep my cell phone voicemail full which prevents anyone who uses my cell # from leaving voicemail (I would disable it, if i knew how). People that I may need voicemail from have my GV phone # and know to call that instead. That way I limit my voicemails and only those GV calls count towards my minutes. Of course because everyone's needs and situations are different, that idea might not work for you.

Hopefully others that use GV will be able to chime in and have the answer regarding whether mobile to mobile calls made to your cell # but forwarded to GV count towards your billed minutes. In the meantime, I will test it out but probably won't have the answer till tomorrow.

tindogify

Reaction score
Why does my wife's galaxy s 3 have google voice typing and at the same time she has swype, I've gone through all the configuration and I cannot get my phone to do the same, can anyone help me?

Last edited:
OP
I

ianlin

Reaction score
Thank you Sydman and TisMyDroid for your kind and informative reply. I am glad to be a member of this forum.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You are welcome, hope it helped. We are happy to have you! It is a great forum with many many great people!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thank you Sydman and TisMyDroid for your kind and informative reply. I am glad to be a member of this forum.

You are most welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay here, I am sure you will. We are kind of a big deal :)