Google Voice minutes?

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by qoncept, Nov 10, 2009.

1. xxfire

xxfire Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not spending 20 bux extra a month for google voice.
    :mad: @ google

2. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, here's my two cents worth.

If you are trying to utilize any service (be it GV or otherwise) to get free calls and circumvent the system, then I would rather that you didn't. Using it this way could give Verizon a reason to block the service altogether, thus taking this wonderful service away from the legitimate users.

Verizon (and other cell providers) make their revenue from us using minutes. Without revenue, there is no company (just ask the old dot-coms). Of course, they can make up for it by jacking up base package prices even more and nobody wants that.

Google Voice isn't trying to take business away from the telecomms, but rather trying to add value (for free to boot!).

I really do understand that people are always looking for ways to save money (especially in these trying times), but let's do it in a manner that won't possibly affect everyone else...

3. xxfire

xxfire Member

Ratings:
    +0

I agree somewhat. I wanted to use GV for those long calls where I'll be on hold etc... Most my calls are vzw to vzw anyway. I only use it @ home with WiFi. Now I don't use it at all. I uninstalled it...

4. Medicated

Medicated New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My two cents...

My two cents: There's nothing nefarious here... You can already use Skype and Vonage on the iPhone (and Vonage has the same "ring them all" feature as Google voice, and number porting), and various apps on Windows Mobile on the Verizon network. So if you're comparison shopping, VOIP is a totally legitimate feature to ask about, but frankly, Google Voice still leaves much to be desired. For those of us that have been waiting around for number porting since the days of GrandCentral, the android app for verizon provided a highly anticipated step in the right direction. Nothing like buying a phone and signing a two year contract solely because of Google Voice and finding out it's not actually Google voice -they handicapped it.

That being said, if your purpose is to save on minutes by using VOIP, use Fring for Android. Make calls over Skype (and a whole lot more)... Fring Now Works on Android, Does Skype VoIP Calls – GigaOM

5. Trever1t

Trever1t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what if......what if you have your GV# on your FF list and you call that number (your own GV #)....then when you enter menu you use option #2 to call another number therefore bypassing the exchange? Ha! Free phonecalls in primetime....;)

6. Big D

Big D Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is all very confusing.

Could someone explain this as if you were talking to your 2nd grader?

7. markol91784

markol91784 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to start using Skype to dial out. The added advantage of skype is that you can then use the internet while making phone calls.

I went to Gizmo but it looks like Google bought them and are not taking new customers

8. Seattle1980

Seattle1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Big D, I feel the same way haha. I feel so stupid when I read these Google Voice threads. I have no clue what it even is.

9. zetachi

zetachi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know if you can use Google Voice from international to US. Not worried about eating my verizon minutes but tVerizon charges @ $2.50/min roaming and If google would save me some money it would be great.

10. Dragoro

Dragoro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When someone calls you using your google voice number using a verizon cell phone, is that considered mobile to mobile or will it go against your minutes?

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google Voice on the Droid explained to a 2nd grader - by request

There's a lot of confusion about Google Voice, so I hope I can clear it all up right here.

First, the Service. Ignoring any specifics about cell phones, smartphones, apps, etc. This section is all possible using a normal cell or landline phone and a computer with internet access:

Google Voice provides you with a phone number. That phone number can be set to forward to a number of existing phones or other services (gizmo5, etc). When somebody calls that number, your phone or other service will ring.

The benefits of Google Voice are:
    - You can use a single number and be reached in multiple locations
    - You can go from a phone number to an alternate service (gizmo5)
    - You can send and receive SMS
    - You get an online voicemail box, with transcription
    - Other cool calling features, like conference, recording.

To receive a phone call using Google Voice, all you need to do is tell somebody to call your Google Voice number. Whatever phones/services you have set up in your account will ring, and you can answer the call. The caller will be charged whatever they would normally be charged to dial a number (your google voice number).

What you will be charged for a received call depends on how you have Google Voice set up. There is an option for Caller ID where you can either have it show the actual caller's ID or your Google Voice number. You will be charged the normal rate for received calls from either of those numbers.

To make a call through google voice, you have two options. 1, you open up a web browser, log into google voice, select "call", tell it which phone to call and who you want to call. Your phone will ring, you pick it up, and it will then connect you to the recipient. 2). You dial your own Google Voice number with your phone. From there, you can choose to make an outgoing call by dialing the number you want to call.

Now, onto the exciting part. The Droid with the Google Voice app.

The android OS has an open architecture that allows for a closer integration for things like Google Voice. The Google Voice app for android does a lot of things for you. First and foremost, it gives you the option of replacing your dialer. This replacement dialer operates as follows:
    - Connects via data to Google Voice servers
    - Connects via voice to a Google Voice number, which then calls your intended recipient.

This is transparent to you and your recipient, which is very nice. The Google Voice number that it uses to dial out seems to be non-deterministic. It's not your own number, and it's not always the same number. It's not configurable in the software, and I can only assume that the data connection at the beginning of the call is requesting it.

Caveat: If you have no data available, you cannot make a call with Google Voice using the built-in dialer. You CAN still make a call by dialing your own GV number and then the number of the recipient. The GV dialer also gives you the easy option of calling without Google Voice once the call initially fails.

The Google Voice app also provides visual voicemail (over data), and SMS sending and receiving (over data). You are not charged voice or SMS rates for voicemail and SMS if you use this app. You ARE charged for SMS if you forward the SMS to your mobile number or call voicemail from the dialer.

What does this all mean?

If you just want to use the exciting new features of Google Voice (recording, internet voicemail, etc), you're good to go. You also get free SMS messages, as they are sent over data instead of the normal SMS network.

If you want to use Google Voice to get free or cheap calls, there are a number of ways to do it, and a number of caveats:

1). If you have an expensive-enough plan (I believe $50/month or more for voice), you are able to select some "Friends and Family" numbers. If you select your own Google Voice number to be one of them, your incoming calls can be free, provided that you turn off Caller ID.
    - This comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having no caller ID - all incoming calls will look like the same number, and you won't know until you answer it who they are.

2). Using that same Friends-and-family number selection, you can add the number that the Google Voice app is using to make calls. This will make your outgoing calls free. That number may change at any time!!

3). If you have a Gizmo5 account, you can install a VoIP program like SIPDroid and tell your Google Voice number to forward to that. If you have SIPDroid running on your phone, it will be able to receive a call using data instead of voice. Similarly, you can use SIPDroid to make outgoing calls. The quality on these calls is quite poor and in my experience there is an annoying echo. Both incoming and outgoing can be done over 3G or WiFi.

4). You can use Fring to make skype and Google Chat voice calls. These are not calls to a landline, but they are fairly good quality and are still useful. You can do that over 3G or WiFi.

In Summary:

Google Voice is NOT, I repeat NOT a VoIP provider. They use VoIP, but only to route calls. They DID recently acquire gizmo5, and gizmo5 IS a VoIP provider, so Google may soon go that route. At the time of this posting, however, Google does NOT make voice calls over data with the Google Voice app.

I do not recommend trying out any of the methods for getting "free" voice calls. They are probably all against the VZ terms of service, so go forth at your own risk of termination or additional fees.

12. DroidGurl

DroidGurl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see a number of people have posted some great responses here, however, I am still mystified.

My interest is in being able to communicate with my boyfriend while he is deployed for a year. With the time difference and my work schedule, I need to depend on my mobile phone as the means to talk with him. However, the international per minute rates to where he is going to be are pretty steep so I am looking for less-expensive alternatives.

I have GV and got a separate GV number.

I have the Motorola Droid and installed the GV app.

I don't intend on making any calls except international to him. I expect we will have a half hour or so every few weeks.

So I am gathering from reading here that I will get charged by GV for the rate for that country AND by Verizon for any minutes that go over my allotment for out of network calls, is that correct?

Can I assume that as long as I'm not using GV at all I'm not incurring any charges with Verizon?

Do I have any other options? Would Fring/Skype work for international calls?

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure out what to do here. He leaves soon and I still don't have a solution on how we can stay in touch without it costing a fortune. :(

Search tags for this page
add minutes to google voice

buy google voice minutes

buy minutes for google voice
does google voice use minutes
does google voice use my cell phone minutes
google voice add minutes
google voice data usage per minute
how to buy minutes for google voice
how to put minutes on google voice
when i use my gv phone will i be using my min