Google Voice Issues

Discussion in 'Xeudoxus' started by wrwarwick, Jul 26, 2010.

1. wrwarwick

wrwarwick New Member

I posted this in the BB forum but wanted to double check here since I am using Darkedge:

I recently updated the Google Voice application about a week ago and it seems to have broken the app. When I reboot my phone I get a few force closes with the app and in my app drawer instead of an icon with Voice it says Compose and when I click it it force closes. I have tried to uninstall the app via the market and the settings menu on my phone and the uninstall option is greyed out. Is there a way where I can force uninstall the application?

Also, I am wondering if this is related to the Darkedge theme I am currently running, because of the App-to-System tool that it uses.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
  2. jamko101

jamko101 New Member

I'm pretty sure this has to do with the Dark Edge installation over the a recently updated version of Google Voice... which Dark Edge apparently doesn't support.

I was having this same problem and so I just forced uninstalled it. So pretty much what I did was I used Root Explorer and navigated into /system/app (its located here because DarkEdge tools moves it for you in the themeing process) and found the GoogleVoice.apk and deleted it. After this I just did a reinstall of the app and DID NOT theme it with Dark Edge. Worked fine ever since.
  3. BigMace23

BigMace23 New Member

Yea I asked this in the main DE thread.. and Kov said the update to GV essentially broke the app if you had it themed, so the only way to get around this is to uninstall and reinstall the unthemed version or reinstall the older version... now since you have DE installed I'm guessing you used the A2S tool and GV is in /system now, which means you can't uninstall it from the market, so you can either use root explorer to delete it which is the easiest way, or you can use a terminal emulator to delete it if you don't want to pay for root explorer (this is also easy but I don't remember the scripts by heart, so you'd have to search for them, sry).
  4. wrwarwick

wrwarwick New Member

Yeah I was able to get it removed with Root Explorer. Didn't realize that the theme didn't work with it.

Thanks.
  5. jamko101

jamko101 New Member

Ok so now the we all have Google Voice back, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to edit some xml files to make the text from black to white. Its kinda of a pain to read within Google Voice... or maybe we'll just have to be patient and wait for a new theme file. Just curious if any of you pros out there know of a quick fix.
  6. Koveleski

Koveleski Premium Member Premium Member Developer

We'll have GV brought back up to speed soon™. Thanks for your patience.
  7. Doombot

Doombot New Member

You guys are the best, thanks. Google Voice is an essential app for me!

Question: I followed the method described earlier on deleting Google Voice from the System\app section and then redownloading from the market.

However, even after doing this and not applying any themes my Google Voice is still black and nearly impossible to read. Wasn't the fresh market version supossed to clear the incompatible themed version?
  8. Koveleski

GoogleVoice, when unthemed and using the DarkEdge UI, has a lot of hard to read text. When it gets 'themed', we are pretty much just fixing all the BoB/WoW issues.

So by advising you to re-download and not re-theme, its just so that you can use the app, albeit with the difficult to read UI because theming the update version actually breaks the program so you can't even open it at all without FCs.
  9. JEchoff

JEchoff New Member

I would also love a fix for Google Voice. It's the only thing I don't like about the theme right now. Oh, and could you please let us know when it is ready? Thanks!
  10. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

if anyone has the a backup copy of the apk before google voice updated, you could use it while you wait for the theme to be updated.

could you also post the apk for download (assuming it allowed).

thanks
  11. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

if anyones intrested i was able to flash back to a pevious nandroid backup and pull an older version of GoogleVoice.

I installed and re-themed successfully

if anyone is intrested, i will post the apk when i get home from work
  12. Koveleski

We haven't forgotten about updating GV to the newest version, we've just been busy on bringing a new version of the lockscreen into the fold.

A lot of apps in our DE-apps pack have been updated in market and we'll be putting out a complete update soon™
  13. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

Thats cool. just trying to help the people be more patient while waiting for an updated release...

if they rollback and theme at least they will still have a fully functioning GV app...since some people (like me) are heavy user of GV and can't do without the DE theme.

so hope this will help you guys out :)
Search tags for this page

google voice older version