Google Voice in gmail is awsome!

searayman

Reaction score
So not sure if you all heard or not but you can now use google voice to make and receive calls on your computer for free!!

Its pretty sweet and if you have a google voice number I would highly recommend it!

Panamakevin

Reaction score
but how/when will this be available for the android?

How would they do anything with this on the android? Since Google Voice is pretty much automatically used on the phone anyhow (after setting up the app) I can't really imagine any uses for an android phone... Nice option while working from your PC though... If ya do alot of PC phone calls that is...

droidianslip

Reaction score

How would they do anything with this on the android? Since Google Voice is pretty much automatically used on the phone anyhow (after setting up the app) I can't really imagine any uses for an android phone... Nice option while working from your PC though... If ya do alot of PC phone calls that is...

Google Voice on android currently is not VOIP.

GMail voice chat on the desktop is VOIP.

While there are work arounds that allow one to use Google Voice for free outgoing calling if you have a Friends & Family type plan currently making a google voice call from android uses minutes.

It would be nice to be able to VOIP from the phone like you now can from Gmail.

I could see ditching my land line (which is really a VOIP line via my cable/ISP) and replacing it with a Wi-Fi enable droid that makes VOIP calls for free in the US.

Likewise it would be cool if I were outside the country or outside service area to be able to make a call from my handset over Wi-Fi.

Panamakevin

Reaction score

While there are work arounds that allow one to use Google Voice for free outgoing calling if you have a Friends & Family type plan currently making a google voice call from android uses minutes.

I could see ditching my land line (which is really a VOIP line via my cable/ISP) and replacing it with a Wi-Fi enable droid that makes VOIP calls for free in the US.

Likewise it would be cool if I were outside the country or outside service area to be able to make a call from my handset over Wi-Fi.

Oh wow... Yeah, that would be friggin sweet... but it would make it quite difficult for verizon to make money off that...

droidianslip

Reaction score

Oh wow... Yeah, that would be friggin sweet... but it would make it quite difficult for verizon to make money off that...

well not really as you are forced into a voice plan on the droid phones

and it's also worth pointing out that this is basically same functionality that Skype already provides - and Skype is an app that vzw has featured in a few commercials touting it's international txt and voice capabilities.