Google Voice Handcent myth?

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Re: Handcent Google Voice

by superdesi » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:01 am
textbookpscyo wrote:There is a work around in the mean time. Install handcent. Launch handcent. Send a sms message to one of your contacts through google voice. Once the contact replies open handcent. You should see their message but it will show up as a 406 number. Long press on the message and click add contact. Start typing in the contact's name and then click on the contact. Save the number. I usually pick the costume label and label it google voice. Now next time you want to send a txt message to that person, launch handcent, click on the compose button, start typing in the contacts name, a dialog box should come up and list two numbers: their real number and the 406 number which is their google voice number, click on the 406 number and now type in your message.
NOTE: This DOES NOT work! I actually thought this worked and used it for a few days. Then I checked my VZW account online and saw that even the texts I was sending to the 406 numbers THRU handcent were still being registered as sent from my mobile number and thus as SMS. The only difference is that the receiver sees your GV number instead of your mobile number. However, you still get charged for SMS by Verizon. Handcent needs to have a dedicated Send this SMS thru GV option for us to not get charged with SMS by VZW.

In the meantime, I suggest those who are happily using Handcent thinking its integrated with GV should turn off SMS being sent to your phone through Google voice. (Go to GV settings, Phones, Edit your mobile phone and uncheck the SMS setting).

I have done searches, and some say this works, while others say it doesn't. With no clear How To as a Sticky, and no clear resolution on this, post are going to continue an ask how/if this works. Bottom line can any user in here give clarification on this? If it doesn't does anyone know a way that can put together a quick write up?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not sure... I use GV for the VVM aspects of it. I have unlimited text...

jrard44

Reaction score
This might sound dumb, but it really depends on what you mean by "work" (ie, what are you trying to accomplish).

It "works", if all you are trying to accomplish is having your SMS's appear to be coming from your Google Voice account. It does NOT work if what you are trying to accomplish is sending an SMS via Google and NOT via your carrier's network.

I'm not an SMS expert, but basically, when using the Google Voice app, the SMS is not coming from your Verizon phone (at least as far as Verizon is concerend). Instead, it is going through your data connection to Google's servers and then to the final recipient. When the user replies, the number goes back to Google, which then sends it to your phone (assuming you have SMS forwarding enabled).

Now, because this SMS really came from Google and not from your contact, if you respond to the SMS via Handcent, the SMS will be sent from your phone to Google, and google figures out that you really want to send this SMS to your contact, and forwards it on. But, in this case, the SMS really did go through Verizon's network (not just the data connection), so it will be charged via your normal messaging account.

So that was kind of long winded, and hopefully it made sense. Basically, if you have a limited messaging plan, and are trying to get around that, then the Handcent workaround will not work for you, as all your replies will count as messages. However, if you have unlmited messaging, and all you are really concerned about is that your contacts see your SMS as coming from your Google Voice number, then yes, this workaround will work. I use it all the time (note, however, that I am not on Verizon).

HTH

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not an SMS expert, but basically, when using the Google Voice app, the SMS is not coming from your Verizon phone (at least as far as Verizon is concerend). Instead, it is going through your data connection to Google's servers and then to the final recipient. When the user replies, the number goes back to Google, which then sends it to your phone (assuming you have SMS forwarding enabled).
That's pretty much it. It's not unique to the Droid. SMS and GV work this way on pretty much any device and any carrier. I don't see the need for a write up. If you SMS via an SMS app it will count against you. If you SMS via the GV app it doesn't.

jrard44

Reaction score
I only wrote a write-up because someone asked :)

I think the issue is that some people don't realize that the Google Voice app is sending SMS's differently than the other SMS apps. It looks like there have been many requests from users to have Handcent add the functionality, but not sure if it is something the developer is looking into (or even if there is a public API/method for sending via Google Voice).

And yes, this appies to all carriers/device combinations. As I mentioned, I don't have a Droid, nor is Verizon my carrier ATM.