Google Voice - got charged $60.??????

nerdkill

Reaction score
also if you call verizon and explain your mistake and tell them you'll enter into an unlimited texting plan if they adjust your previous months texting they'll usually do it. 30 a month for unlimited family texting, or you could just get into this plan which is saving me about 60 a month.

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseForm?OSPEUT_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthE
That's why I thought it was cool using gv so I wouldn't be charged. I'd rather opt our of the unlimited texting. I'll just ignore the text msgs. coming in.

Wow you are really not reading when people are trying to help you out. Just read and understand.

GOOGLE VOICE TEXTING IS FREE! I think you're using your stock sms application with google voice being installed on your phone. Once again, do this excercise right now. Open up your stock sms app and see if your messages are in there. If they are in there you now know your problem. Now open up your GV APPLICATION and send a text. Now go back into your stock sms and make sure its not in there. No stock sms = no charge.

As far as telling you to call verizon was advice on how to fix what you've already done. You can always change it back later when you've figured out gv. gv is not a magic app that makes everything on your phone free. also, make sure everyone texts back to your gv number or else you'll be charged.

Now, no more complaining until you do some self diagnosing on your end to help the people that are trying to help you.

edited for clarity as it was typed out on my phone.

Last edited:
OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
also if you call verizon and explain your mistake and tell them you'll enter into an unlimited texting plan if they adjust your previous months texting they'll usually do it. 30 a month for unlimited family texting, or you could just get into this plan which is saving me about 60 a month.

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseForm?OSPEUT_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthE
That's why I thought it was cool using gv so I wouldn't be charged. I'd rather opt our of the unlimited texting. I'll just ignore the text msgs. coming in.

Wow you are really not reading when people are trying to help you out. Just read and understand.

GOOGLE VOICE TEXTING IS FREE! I think you're using your stock sms application with google voice being installed on your phone. Once again, do this excercise right now. Open up your stock sms app and see if your messages are in there. If they are in there you now know your problem. Now open up your GV APPLICATION and send a text. Now go back into your stock sms and make sure its not in there. No stock sms = no charge.

As far as telling you to call verizon was advice on how to fix what you've already done. You can always change it back later when you've figured out gv. gv is not a magic app that makes everything on your phone free. also, make sure everyone texts back to your gv number or else you'll be charged.

Now, no more complaining until you do some self diagnosing on your end to help the people that are trying to help you.
I agree to your comment with Nerdkill. Understand before making a comment.

GV texting may be free & once configured to exclude msgs being sent to your number, I never get alerts that I received a text msg. I always need to open gv & see what messages I had. My wife told me a cple of times now that I never reply to her texts.
Free is a good thing but if it doesn't work to how you want it to work, it's no good.

Last edited:

csimo

Reaction score

You're exactly right. When configured properly GV texts are free and have nothing to do with Verizon messaging.

I've been using GV for texts for months and have never experienced any significant delays on text messages... maybe a minute here and there, but that's all. Overall it's as reliable as Verizon text messaging for me... sometimes my Verizon texts never show up.

nerdkill

Reaction score

I agree to your comment with Nerdkill. Understand before making a comment.

GV texting may be free & once configured to exclude msgs being sent to your number, I never get alerts that I received a text msg. I always need to open gv & see what messages I had. My wife told me a cple of times now that I never reply to her texts.
Free is a good thing but if it doesn't work to how you want it to work, it's no good.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAYYYYYYYY. if you're not getting notified that you have a message do this. open google voice >settings>sync and notifications>synchronize inbox.

superdesi

Reaction score
you can still do it if you install the old .apk.

Where can I get the old .apk?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

i googled "old google voice .apk" and this is the first result that showed up. HTC Evo 4G - Google Voice 0.3.4 apk file

I know its been a while but fyi the apk linked on that forum does dial out to your gv number (just tested it out). Will be looking for another source thru google to find the old apk that does.

btw how can i check what version of GV im running?

UPDATE: seems like rolling back to the old gv app does nothing. see comments posted at this article: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-voice-updates-faster-dialing-direct-access-numbers

Google controls what number you dial out to from their servers, not the app. Sucks, cant get free outbound calls using F&F (but inbound still works I think)

Last edited:

csimo

Reaction score
Where can I get the old .apk?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

i googled "old google voice .apk" and this is the first result that showed up. HTC Evo 4G - Google Voice 0.3.4 apk file

I know its been a while but fyi the apk linked on that forum does dial out to your gv number (just tested it out). Will be looking for another source thru google to find the old apk that does.

UPDATE: seems like rolling back to the old gv app does nothing. see comments posted at this article: Google Voice updates for faster dialing with 'direct access numbers' | Android Central

Google controls what number you dial out to from their servers, not the app. Sucks, cant get free outbound calls using F&F (but inbound still works I think)

This is all you need:
GVMyNumber.apk - gvmynumber - GVMyNumber - Project Hosting on Google Code

-Joe

OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score

UPDATE: seems like rolling back to the old gv app does nothing. see comments posted at this article: Google Voice updates for faster dialing with 'direct access numbers' | Android Central

This is all you need:

-Joe
What, exactly does this do??

csimo

Reaction score

This is all you need:

-Joe
What, exactly does this do??

GVMyNumber does the following:

When you have Google Voice installed on your phone and you choose to make a call using Google Voice then GVMyNumber intercepts the Google Voice "random" outbound number and instead calls YOUR Google Voice number. It then waits for two seconds then dials a "2" which is what you would use to make an outbound call. Then it dials the number you were trying to call.

If you have your Google Voice number in your Friends and Family then all outbound calls will be free.

If you don't use GVMyNumber then Google Voice dials a random outbound relay number and you will be charged for the call using your minutes.

GVMyNumber doesn't do anything you couldn't do manually. You could manually call your Google Voice number, then hit 2, then dial the number you were trying to reach and if you have your Google Voice number in Friends & Family that call would be free.

It's really a very simple app that changes the random outbound Google Voice relay to your own Google Voice number so Friends & Family will work.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've never been charged because I text over WiFi using google voice, I can't speak for 3G/4G because I generally don't text over the network using GV. But in theory you should be able to text over over the network without any charges using GV because you are using your unlimited data.