1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Google Voice - got charged $60.??????

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by droidx2010, Oct 23, 2010.

1. droidx2010

droidx2010 New Member

I thought you can text using google voice without being charged? I used voice for all my texting & got charged $.20 per text msg. that came to over $60 last month.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I text w/out a charge? Damn - I'm paying $30/mo for data service, you'd think I'd get more.
  2. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator Premium Member

Not sure i thought the same thing. Waiting for an answer as well.
  3. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Were you texting to other GV users? Pretty sure it's only free when its GV to GV, not GV to regular mobile.
  4. droidx2010

droidx2010 New Member

No - I only had it. That's not what I was told. I read somewhere in here & another source (can't find where I saw it from) that if you get a phone # from google voice, you can use that number for texting w/out being charged. I was told that's the beauty of Google Voice.
  5. styleznma

styleznma New Member

This is complete bs, argue it and they will drop it one time maybe two, play dumb

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  6. droidx2010

droidx2010 New Member

Argue what?
  7. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I think it has to do with how you have gv set up. I had mine set up to show the number of the person calling gv and it was being charged minutes, I changed it to show gv in the cid and it now shows up as mob to mob since it's a f/f number
    Not sure how to set it for texts as I don't use it for texting

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad
  8. lewwill

lewwill Member

The video on the app, which was on my phone when I got it, says nothing about a charge. Is that only for texting? I don't text much and don't have a text pkg. It is nice for searches and directions. I guess I had better check my bill or call VZ.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Contact Verizon and ask about it. If you had no texting plan on the phone at all and something wasn't set up correctly you weren't texting for free. Also, make absolutely sure you have your GV outgoing number in your F&F list, otherwise every call is eating minutes.
  10. lewwill

lewwill Member

Google Voice - Features#
    check out this site and the "mobile app" section. It says FREE. Looks like a great app but do you have to sign up for a Google phone nr.?
  11. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

When you said the cost of sms is $.2 per message, it seems you might have forwarded the message to your phone and you did not request disabling sms on your phone from your carrier.

If you forward msg to your phone, you should receive two notifications when a message comes in. Please check your gv setting using a browser and make sure you do not have to sms forwarded again.

If you find gv is reliable, you should tell your carrier that you do not want to send/receive sms on your phone. Otherwise, each sms in or out would cost you something.

The last thing and the most important thing is to negotiate with your carrier for a reduced fee or its entirety. Hope things work out for you.
  12. JMT_Cam

JMT_Cam New Member

You need to sign up for a custom Google Voice number and use that for all your outbound and inbound text messages via the app on your phone. Its free because you are using an online service (Google) over your data plan and not regular text bundle.

If you are positive that you are using a Google Voice number for all inbound and outbound texts via the app on your phone and are still being charged, then you should contact verizon.
  13. droidx2010

droidx2010 New Member

Oh really?? I wasn't texting for free?? Isn't that what I just said? I was being charged=wasn't texting for free. I dont use GV for calling, only for texting.
    My question was how to set up gv so I don't get charged for texting. I already know I was charged.
  14. droidx2010

droidx2010 New Member

I already have a custom google voice number & thought I already use that for my outbound & inbound text messages. When I send a text to someone, they say my cell number is showing up as another number. Isn't that a sign that my custom # is working? I'm still being charged.
    When I do get a reply text, I get 2 of the same msg's. One from the person texting & teh other from, like a google msg. but I tried sending from both sources & still get charged for both.
  15. JMT_Cam

JMT_Cam New Member

Sounds like you need to go into the settings on your app and turn off text message notifications. Seems like when ever you get a message on GV app it sends you a text message to your regular number letting you know you got a text message. The option is on by default and I think was made more for voice mail notification, but it will also catch texts.

Look for the setting called "Notifications via text message" and see if that works.
  16. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

it sounds like you might not have added it to your friends and family properly. You should also drop the attitude considering you're the one that screwed up and now you're asking people for help. You'll get more help if you're polite.
  17. csimo

csimo New Member

In GV settngs on your phone, under "Sync and notifications" if you have "Notifications via text message" checked then you are using Verizon for text messages, not GV. This setting must be UNCHECKED for you to use GV free text messaging.

Adding your GV number to Friends and Family does NOTHING. GV does not use your GV number for inbound or outbound calls. There's a third party app that you can use to force this feature, or you can use the GV callback feature, but other than that there's no way to make free GV calls without using plan minutes. F&F does nothing.
  18. Big Fate

Big Fate New Member

Why don't you just get verizons unlimited plan? What plan do you have?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  19. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

No, you don't need a special number for free texting. Texting by google voice is done by data, not regular texting.

Here's what I think is going on: Are you getting regular text replies saying you have a google voice text? That will cost you every time. Make sure you don't have any notification for email or text. Just get your notifications from GV. Go on line into your Google Voice page and go through your set up. Make sure your device isn't listed for either a text or an email. That should keep you from getting charged.
  20. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is what I was talking about.
Search tags for this page
can google voice text limit
do you get charged for texts from google voice
do you get charged using google voice
google voice charge for text
google voice charges
google voice limits
google voice limits text