GOOGLE VOICE First steps Towards MMS support

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Google-Voice.png

The one thing holding me back from using my Google Voice account exclusively is the lack of MMS support. Sure, others with smartphones can just e-mail photos, but it never seems to work out that way. Yesterday, Google officially announced they have made a first step toward bringing this feature to its GV users. At the moment, only Sprint users are able to send MMS messages and to receive them you’ll have to turn on “enable text to e-mail forwarding” in your GV settings. Google is working on getting this to work with other carriers and getting the MMS messages to show up in the GV inbox, but this is a huge step forward. Most of us have been waiting for this since GV launched and may help to ditch using our main numbers all together. Stay tuned for more detailed information as it comes. Who’s excited?

SOURCE: Google Voice Blog

dAi

Reaction score
Nice! Also, if only Google voice works without the use of internet data

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Nice! Also, if only Google voice works without the use of internet data

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Yea I don't see that happening since Google Voice aims to be VOIP...kinda beat the whole purpose of it.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I despise MMS because I think it is a hacked together, limited, unreliable workaround and I think that email is way better for sending files. Be that as it may, I am disappointed that Google Voice simply makes MMSes disappear. It should at least send an error message to either the sender, the receiver, or both. Forget about making it work right, at least get an error message working ASAP!

OK, end of rant. I'm glad that they're trying to fix it.

gwhiz377

Reaction score
Now if only they can work on getting a better interface that doesn't look all cluttered together and look more like some of the other messaging apps out there...

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Now if only they can work on getting a better interface that doesn't look all cluttered together and look more like some of the other messaging apps out there...

Yea it would be cool if we can theme it

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea I don't see that happening since Google Voice aims to be VOIP...kinda beat the whole purpose of it.

Heck, using the internet instead of phone is superior because it lets you circumvent those ridiculous txt messaging fees. If only I had ported my cell number to GV before VZW ended the unlimited plan - I'm afraid doing so now would end my unlimited data.