Google Voice Error

maquina

Reaction score
I am trying to install/upgrade Google Voice from the Android Market, but every time I download it and try to install it I get this error:

Installation Error
Package file was not signed
correctly

How do I fix this so that I can install Google Voice?

This is one of my first posts and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
M

maquina

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I recently rooted my phone for the first time and I'm running Liberty 1.5. Everything was running smoothly until this.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Your GV may be installed as a system app therefore I don't think it will allow it to upgrade. I think only data apps will update from market. At least that's the way I've always thought of it.

I'm not sure about that error message though. It usually just says install failed on mine, nothing about unsigned.

OP
M

maquina

Reaction score
You're right I do have it installed already. But how am I supposed to update it if I keep getting this error? Is there any way to delete the program from my phone and download the program again for the app market? I assume that it came pre-installed with the Liberty ROM.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
If you are rooted, just go to the system/app folder and rename the GV apk file to "GoogleVoice.apk.bak" (just in case something goes wrong you have the original there if you need it) then reboot and then go to market and download it.

***Now, I have a D1 so the system app folder may not be in the same place as mine. Mine is at /system/app/GoogleVoice.apk

Please check to make sure that the X has the same system folder.****

Last edited:
OP
M

maquina

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea and I tried it. I accessed the system file using ASTRO file manager and then went to app found GV and tried to rename, but the I apparently have insufficient permissions.

I'm a total noob when it comes to doing this. Is there another way to reach the system folder and all of the other folders to rename the app. Maybe I need a different file management app.

Thanks for the help so far.

tearlach2

Reaction score
Use the program root explorer. when you are in the folder where the file is, click on mount R/W at the top, then edit the filename. Once you are done editing Click it back to mount R/O

OP
M

maquina

Reaction score
I'll try Root Explorer. Sheesh almost five bucks. I know it's only a cup a coffee or a gallon of gas nowadays, but it seems like a lot. I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning and let you guys know how it's going, right now I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
I'll try Root Explorer. Sheesh almost five bucks. I know it's only a cup a coffee or a gallon of gas nowadays, but it seems like a lot. I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning and let you guys know how it's going, right now I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Thanks for all the help.

Liberty Toolbox will do this for you...

Liberty Toolbox.
-->App Management
----> Remove Apps
-------> Menu -> Show all Apps
----> Find Google voice and delete it (it will offer to back it up for you)

reboot, re-install from market.

OP
M

maquina

Reaction score
Liberty Toolbox will do this for you...

Liberty Toolbox.
-->App Management
----> Remove Apps
-------> Menu -> Show all Apps
----> Find Google voice and delete it (it will offer to back it up for you)

reboot, re-install from market.

Thanks a lot! This worked perfectly. I had tried this before but I failed to select "show all apps", which is why I couldn't find GV listed initially.

Thanks to everyone also for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

:icon_ banana: