Google Voice and SMS

Silverwing

Reaction score
I think someone said that the GV SMS will push if you also have an email notification set up. So set up the email notification and also set a filter / rule in your email to delete those. Then you get the SMS push without the extra email notification.

Edit: I also do not have a text plan, so I give out my GV # to people who text me. Now I just need to remember who has my regular # and who has my GV # when I call them so they don't get confused. Unless we get something like this... Can you assign specific contacts to only use the google voice no matter what? - Google Mobile Help

I think that is the way to go, do you know how to set up that filter rule to delete all those notification emails?
My filter looks like this once it's set up. I don't get many texts though and haven't confirmed it yet.

Code:
Matches: from:(@txt.voice.google.com)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

It appears to work, I am still testing it. But none actually go to my email, so that part works.

romeov

Reaction score
I just tested exactly as posted above and can confirm it does NOT work. can we get more testers on this? I don't really see how it would work in the first place.. That means gmail on Android has some sort of secret built in code on android to tell Google voice (if it finds it's been installed) to check for a new SMS when it receives an email.. this.. makes no sense to me why they would secretly add this and not tell anyone.

That's sort of like Google Sky Maps having secret code built into it that checks to see if you have.. I don't know Shopsavvy installed. And if so, it sends a command to Shopsavvy to start looking up the best prices on Xbox 360's when Google Sky Maps gets a GPS lock.

It makes no sense.

GV Notifier.net however is working wonderfully on my PC. This at least gives me an almost instant popup in my system tray when I get a text at my computer to which I reply to without opening Google Voice. One down, one to go

Dave Amenta .com Blog Archive GVNotifier.net brings Google Voice SMS to the desktop

Silverwing

Reaction score
I get SMS on google voice more frequently now, then before. Maybe, around two minutes at the time. I'll try and check it in more detail soon.

Mojo

Reaction score
Uh...you guys realize that if you set up notifications via gmail. You can just respond to the text from that email. And makes it nearly instant. So you do not have to even open up the google voice app unless you are going to start a new conversation with some one.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Right... but some of us get 100's of text messages per day and don't want to clutter our Gmail inboxes with them.

I think if you set up a filter to delete it in Gmail, the phone will never get it and will never prompt GV to fetch. I'm pretty sure GV fetches anytime an SMS or email is received.

romeov

Reaction score
Yes, I'm quite sure we all do realize that.

What we're trying to do is get it to work with the google voice app, not with email. having all of my hundreds of texts cluttering up my email is not something I would like to do

romeov

Reaction score
"I'm pretty sure GV fetches anytime an SMS or email is received."

Why is everyone pretty sure of this? This makes no sense whatsoever that it would. Google Voice has nothing to do, nor is integrated with the Gmail app on Android.

(other than that, right on for also not wanting to use the SMS to email option)

fegul

Reaction score
having all of my hundreds of texts cluttering up my email is not something I would like to do
What I did was enable the SMS forwarding to email and in Gmail I created a filter with the following:

Code:
Matches: subject:("SMS from")
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "SMS", Never send it to Spam

The subject of all the Google Voice fowarards begins with "SMS from" and the text skips my inbox entirely (but isn't marked read) so it doesn't get cluttered but I still see a little notification on the left next to the label when a new message comes in. That's how it looks on the web end though, I get my droid today so we'll see how it works on it.

fegul

Reaction score
What exactly does "apply label" command do?
Labels are basically Gmail's version of folders although a little more powerful. messages can have multiple labels attached to them.

Currently I have several email accounts that are forwarded to my Gmail account. All messages I get are filtered by the account they came from and labeled accordingly so I basically can view any of inboxes in my other accounts just by selecting the corresponding label for the account.

Google Voice SMS-to-email is no different other than the fact that I have it skip my inbox so I don't have the clutter that you mentioned.

Last edited:

Modulus

Reaction score
"I'm pretty sure GV fetches anytime an SMS or email is received."

Why is everyone pretty sure of this? This makes no sense whatsoever that it would. Google Voice has nothing to do, nor is integrated with the Gmail app on Android.

(other than that, right on for also not wanting to use the SMS to email option)

The Google Voice definitely 'watches' the incoming SMS, I have my GV number set to forward SMS to my Droid's cell number, but I have the Droid's Messaging app set NOT to notify me of new SMS. This results in instant arrival of SMS sent to my GV number.

I don't think that the GV app fetches when it receives an SMS, I think it 'skims' that SMS, sees that it's from a GV number (406 or whatever) and processes it instantly. There is no delay from the time that a cellular SMS arrives to the time the GV SMS arrives, they're perfectly synchronized..

It is not farfetched to think that the GV app could watch for incoming GMail that contain GV SMS; to the contrary, it would be a clean/free way to implement totally free/instant GV SMS on the Droid.

I had GV SMS -> GMail configured at one point, but don't remember it syncing instantly.
Google Voice developers would be smart to tell us to use a special label and filter for GV SMS, then the GV app on android could skim email matching that 'key' label.

thaJack

Reaction score
Does this mean that if somebody texts me on my Google voice number, if forward is disabled. I may not get it for 5 minutes? If so, is there a way to bypass that without forwarding (since that would cost money, as I don't have an unlimited text plan and that appears to be redundant, anyway). Any third party program that will push for texts, instead of checking every 5 minutes.

As was said in the last quoted paragraph... forward to GMail rather than to your phone's SMS plan.

When you receive the GMail message, you can reply to it directly and it will go back to the sender as a normal text message would.

You can also filter them in GMail if you want (you have to set the filter up on GMail on the web, though). All messages you receive from Google voice will come from @txt.voice.google.com

I apply a "SMS" label to them so I can easily tell what is what.

thaJack

Reaction score
I think someone said that the GV SMS will push if you also have an email notification set up. So set up the email notification and also set a filter / rule in your email to delete those. Then you get the SMS push without the extra email notification.

I noticed this behavior, too... once I set the SMS messages to forward to my email they started coming as quickly or faster to my Google Voice app. Very strange.

If that is the case, then just set up the filter on GMail to mark them as read and archive/delete them and you may not even need to see them in GMail.

pcandroid

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I use Handcent for sms both incoming and outgoing they go through Google Voice and are instant. Is this not normal am I missing something?