Google Voice and Moto Droid

pierced_droid

Reaction score
Just have a few questions..

How do you make calls using your GV number from your Droid?

I am assuming that text and VM will be delivered to my Gmail mailbox.

And from what else I hear. I I do this I will be able to drop my unlimited Text. and also drop to a lower min plan?

just trying to figure out if GV uses Data and not mins.

Thanks all

Last edited:

diverbelow

Reaction score
Just have a few questions..

How do you make calls using your GV number from your Droid?
After you install GV from the market place, and during the setup process, it will ask you if you want to use GV to make oall calls, Do not use GV for calls, prompt you or Only use GV for International calls.

If you log in to http://www.google.com/voice -> settings -> Voicemail & text (something like that) and setup it there.

And from what else I hear. I I do this I will be able to drop my unlimited Text. and also drop to a lower min plan?
True, if you actually have a GV number. and you send/receive SMS through GV.

At this time, GV uses minutes. Google has said later this year GV will be fully VoIP.

Thanks all

Please see above comments.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
You can set up GV to always use your GV number on out going calls, never use your GV number or to ask for every call.

I use the text in the GV app. I believe you can drop into your Gmail, but I don't. Text from GV look to the receiver as coming from a random number. Not your cell or GV number. Weird. But it is free, no text plan required

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you enable forwarding, as mentioned above. IMO it's a bit pointless if you have the GV app since you'll get notifications (as well as the messages) via the app. Now that they've added syncing, notifications are basically instant.

Depends on how you set it up and use it. It's certainly possible (refer to the countless GV threads). I'd recommend you watch your usage after making the changes for a month or two before dropping anything.

It uses data for SMS but not for calls.

I believe you can drop into your Gmail, but I don't. Text from GV look to the receiver as coming from a random number.
I think you're confusing this with forwarding SMS from GV to your phone. Texts from people will come from a 406 number instead of their own numbers (but their number will be in the body of the text).

Weird. But it is free, no text plan required
It's free as long as you only use the GV app for sending and receiving text messages and disable SMS forwarding. Forwarded SMS and replies to them will count against you. SMS to and from your VZW number will also.

Last edited: