Google Voice 0.4.0.12 - no more FnF?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
GVMyNumber.apk - gvmynumber - GVMyNumber - Project Hosting on Google Code

hmmm that's weird...do you have unread messages? it wont work if you have unread voicemails in there...

Works flawlessly and is more elegant IMO then worrying about playing musical chairs with periodically changing access numbers. No issues with unread VMs either on my end. Thanks Czerdrill! :icon_ banana:

No prob, yep as long as your own GV number is in your FNF, you're golden. No need to add access numbers to the list, just one number is all you need

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Don't worry, there's a simple way around this!

Instead of the official App, use "Google Voice Call Free" instead!
This app hooks into your phonebook just like the official GV, but when you dial out, it does it just as if you logged onto GV on your computer to make a call: it places the call from the internet and RINGS YOU BACK from your GV number. So, you can continue to just have your own GV number on your FF list and make free outgoing calls all you want.

balazer

Reaction score
Gee,

You guys are complaining because Google changed the behavior of Google Voice such that the access number changes more frequently now. The access number changed before! It was never guaranteed to stay the same. That's not a feature of Google Voice.

If you want the number to be the same, there were and still are ways to make it always be the same: Dial out with Flex Dialer Lite, or do call-back with cpedia's Google Voice Dialer.

mccord42

Reaction score
We're done complaining. ^This^ is better than playing access number musical chairs anyway. ;) Seamlessly integrates with dialer and keeps you on the line so no callback. Merely add your GV# to FnF and you're set. Receiving phone shows your GV# on caller ID.

This would be a great option if it worked. It seems to have a problem with phone numbers with repeating digits. For example 556-677-8899 will be dialed fast and sound like 56789 and will not be dialed properly.

Q

qoncept

Firstly, I never found call connect time to be excessive enough with GV to be a deal breaker.
Like I said, I did. It was awful. Maybe it depends on the routing number it's calling, but waiting for calls to connect drove me crazy, and I often wouldn't hear the phone ring until it was just about to go to voicemail. It was an issue that needed to be addressed. Since I've moved on from GV, I doubt I'll ever really know.

As much as unique access numbers seem like a reasonable feature to some, Google chose to release this update without including any other user-submitted feature/bug fix requests or making unique access numbers an OPTION.

Blacklisting Google Voice access numbers would have been an utter PR travesty of user back-lash; so if collusion DID occur, this was an easy way to mask true motives.
You didn't really expect such an easy way to cheat the system and get free calls to be available forever, did you? I expected Verizon to make the change but it turned out they didn't have to, whether it was their hand or any other provider's that prompted it. Anyway, Google has never been very good about making the changes people are asking for. They change what they want when they want. Remember the horizontal send button problem? They released like 3 versions before fixing a blatant bug.

I honestly don't think Verizon would get much negative PR from blacklisting the numbers themselves at all. Not THAT many people use GV, even fewer realized you could do this.

FYI, I now carry a Nationwide Talk/Text 1400 minute plan with two data plans. I'm sharing minutes between four users who all call unique numbers. I pay Verizon ~$400 a month for Fios TV, internet, and wireless services. I have every right to use legal means at my disposal to ensure that I'm not creeping up into the overage territory by using GV on my phone.
Maybe I'd feel differently if my family was even coming close to using our 1400 minutes, but the majority of our calls are either to other Verizon users or FnF.

What happened was you found a loophole and were able to get free calls for a short period. Even if Google made the change for no other reason than to plug the hole, I think you should count yourself lucky that you had access before, not scorned now that you don't.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happened was you found a loophole and were able to get free calls for a short period. Even if Google made the change for no other reason than to plug the hole, I think you should count yourself lucky that you had access before, not scorned now that you don't.
Can you imagine what will happen when people who tether their droid as their primary internet connection to their cmputers, all of a sudden find out that reality hit and VZW started to tier data?

Mohawk3

Reaction score
I have been using flex dialer lite to make my Google Voice calls because it was easier than having to deal with the outgoing access number changing every few months or so. It works pretty well, but you have to make sure that if you have Google Voice installed, you have to turn off the use Google Voice for calls feature (not just cancel at the call screen)

Flex Dialer: Maplekey Company Mobile Android Apps

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never updated and have not had a problem yet. still uses one number for dialing.

OP
L

les017

Reaction score
I have been using flex dialer lite to make my Google Voice calls because it was easier than having to deal with the outgoing access number changing every few months or so. It works pretty well, but you have to make sure that if you have Google Voice installed, you have to turn off the use Google Voice for calls feature (not just cancel at the call screen)

Flex Dialer: Maplekey Company Mobile Android Apps

I was also using FlexDialer, but then I flashed a new ROM and after restore forgot to go back to the GV app and select "No Google Voice", so I was using GV to make all calls regardless of the FlexDialer setting.

Imagine my surprise when all of my calls are once again going out via my previous 916-xxx-xxxx number. Verified that I do indeed have the latest GV app. Seems that maybe it was not the app itself that pointed to all of the individual numbers, but maybe the new version allowed Google to enable this function. Either way, seems they turned off the individual number "feature", as I am back to normal with a single call out number and the latest GV.

go figure...people must have raised hell on the GV site

searayman

Reaction score
In all honesty i dont think google made this update to "screw" you guys out of free calling. I think they were actually trying to make there product faster which is better for most Google voice users. So lets not all get in a hissy fit over this, I for one love the update and the calls are def connecting a lot faster.

Very Respectfully,

Mike

OP
L

les017

Reaction score
Of course, I had no thoughts of being screwed. It was just a dramatic change of operation that people needed to be aware of.

Now that they are back to using a single routing number I still see much faster call establishment times. All in all I say WELL DONE.... aside from the initial confusion.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course, I had no thoughts of being screwed. It was just a dramatic change of operation that people needed to be aware of.

Now that they are back to using a single routing number I still see much faster call establishment times. All in all I say WELL DONE.... aside from the initial confusion.
they are using 1 number again? for sure? i dont wanna update unless it is.

OP
L

les017

Reaction score

they are using 1 number again? for sure? i dont wanna update unless it is.

that's what I'm seeing, since late yesterday.