Google Voice 0.4.0.12 - no more FnF?

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by les017, Jul 22, 2010.

1. les017

les017 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the latest GV takes away the ability to get the most from your Verizon Friends & Family. Used to be that all calls using GV went via a single, relatively consistent 916-xxx-xxxx number. Not anymore. Seems each number you dial now goes out through a different 972-xxx-xxxx number.

At least i can't see any way to disable this. Oh well, Titanium Backup to the rescue...back to 0.3.4 for me.

If anyone has more/better info please chime in.

2. DigiK

DigiK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely right and very underhanded of Goog. Avoid the update if you're not rooted or revert to a backup of 3.4.

Google Voice has been updated to 4.0 in the market, but the only new 'feature' is unique, per-contact access numbers. Users who currently enjoy unlimited free calling by entering their Google Access Number on their Friends and Family list should avoid this update.

Additionally, it's kind of insulting that Google bothered to push this update out without atleast including features that users have been emphatically requesting on market for a while including save as draft, separate VM & SMS notification sounds, message threading, and FB picture display.

All in all, I'm a bit incredulous of the stated motives of "place calls faster" here; we can only hope Google isn't getting a bit too close with Verizon these days.

Time to 1-STAR in Market.

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Excellent catch!!!!

4. les017

les017 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's my M-O for almost anything I do. Hang around for 6-8 months and eventually do something useful.:)

I had heard that an update was coming soon, but I had hoped that MMS support would be near the top of the list. This is a more than a little disturbing to me. It might have been foolhardy, but I had actually spent more than a bit of time porting non-VZW, non-MMS contacts over to my GV number. I still need a 1400 minute plan to get FnF but I now only carry 1 phone as I have forwarded my work desk and cell phones to my GV number.

Oh well, as long as 0.3.4 doesn't expire

5. boddah

boddah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can anybody put up a copy of 0.3.4? I updated this morning, doh :(

6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
  7. DigiK

DigiK Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. boddah

boddah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice, thanks DigiK :)

9. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,762
    good job, good catch. Man google you suppose to b on our side.

10. qoncept

qoncept Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is complete nonsense.

My first reaction was that yeah, Verizon and the other carriers were pressuring Google. But if they wanted to fix the problem, it would be easy enough to get a list of phone numbers Google uses for routing and blacklist them from Friends and Family. In fact I assumed that would happen sooner or later.

The fact is, calls genuinely do go through faster now since they don't have to be routed by Google. In fact the pathetic connection times are why quit using GV for calls. This is not only a feature people want, but in at least my case, a make or break feature.

11. GolfProRM

GolfProRM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo! Some of us actually use GV without trying to circumvent our minute plans and are quite pleased that it works significantly faster now.

12. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I dont get the people who complain about this change. You cant have a FNF plan with less than 1400 minutes! Are you really in jeopardy of going over a 1400/month limit? If so, put down the phone and go enjoy the outdoors lol

Search tags for this page
download old google voice version

google voice 0.3.4 apk

google voice 3.4 apk
google voice apk
google voice apk old
google voice disable direct access number

old google voice apk

old version google voice apk
older version of google voice .apk
older version of google voice apk