Google / Verizon Chrome OS Tablet Coming Soon

J

JohnDroid

I realize that this isn't "Android Tablet" specific news but it's definitely closely related.... kissing cousins or so. Rumors are floating around that Google will release a tablet device running Chrome OS and operating on the Verizon Wireless network sometime around November 26th.

Pricing is being mentioned that puts the device at..... Free. With purchase of data contract that is. How can they do this? I can only suspect that they don't mind not really turning any type of profit on the hardware and instead intend to make it all up on contract payments and monthly revenue kickbacks from Verizon.

Why would they do this? Well, we all know that it's a warzone out there: mainly between Google and Apple, and this is certainly a great way for Google to steal some of Apple's thunder and steal market share. Offer a competing product at an unbeatable price.

The hardware is rumored to be Nvidia Tegra 2 based, 1280x720 multitouch display, 2GB RAM, 32 GB SSD (not very likely in our opinions) Wifi/Bluetooth and 3G Connectivity.

Another baseless rumor? Possibly, but given that we do know Verizon will be released a couple of tablets soon it might just have a possibility. Here's to hoping!

You can discuss this at our sister site, the Android Tablet Forum here: Google / Verizon Chrome OS Tablet Coming Soon

Hop on over to Download Squad, an unlikely source for this type of news, for the scoop: Google launching a Chrome OS tablet on Verizon, goes on sale November 26

Edit: Shadez beat me to the news as well, his post is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ablet-coming-google-verizon-black-friday.html

Sorry Shadez!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh, damn. My first impression was, "Bichin', a 4:3 screen aspect ratio!"

But then I pulled out the calculator and 1280÷720 later, realized that it's actually standard 16:9.

That sucks.

-Matt

OP
J

JohnDroid

But then I pulled out the calculator and 1280÷720 later, realized that it's actually standard 16:9.

That sucks.

-Matt

With so much content "HD" and widescreen, I actually prefer 16:9.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

That sucks.

-Matt

Tablet as media consumption device? 16:9
Tablet as media consumption + document creation? 4:3 (my vote, anyway)

I know we all hate the unused black space (letter box) when we watch widescreen movies, but those pixels come in handy for other tasks.

-Matt

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

I know we all hate the unused black space (letter box) when we watch widescreen movies, but those pixels come in handy for other tasks.

Document creation on a tablet??? I think you're missing the purpose.

16:9 vote here. A tablet is for light weight media/entertainment/information consumption in a mobile situation where the added weight of a laptop isn't desired. For example, an activity like accessing media/entertainment/information while at an airport or during train commutes.

Document creation? I don't think that's the intended use. Any activity more robust than media consumption and you're simply in the market for a laptop. I just got back from Italy yesterday, and I was daydreaming about a good tablet. Also, I figure that a tablet could fit inside of a safe in a hotel room so you don't have to feel compelled to always take it with you, or worry about it sprouting legs when you don't.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Document creation on a tablet??? I think you're missing the purpose.

16:9 vote here. A tablet is for light weight media/entertainment/information consumption in a mobile situation where the added weight of a laptop isn't desired. For example, an activity like accessing media/entertainment/information while at an airport or during train commutes.

Document creation? I don't think that's the intended use. Any activity more robust than media consumption and you're simply in the market for a laptop. I just got back from Italy yesterday, and I was daydreaming about a good tablet. Also, I figure that a tablet could fit inside of a safe in a hotel room so you don't have to feel compelled to always take it with you, or worry about it sprouting legs when you don't.
I agree with you to a degree. Definitely, when the iPad craze hit, the concept of tablet-as-media-consumption-device became a big idea.

But if that's so, it's difficult to explain why a tablet would have:
- stylus and handwriting recognition
- Windows 7 or another full-scale OS
- enough CPU to do edit photos or videos

For example, I don't know if Apple is doing this yet, but I'll predict that within the next several months we'll here more about tablets as BOTH (1) devices for reading textbooks AND (2) devices for notetaking in class.

Actually, I think you're arguing that the platform really screams CONSUMPTION and I'm sure that's right. But the tablets you'll see this fall and winter are going to push document creation as much as consumption. Maybe that's a mistake...I know my little netbook ultimately couldn't handle it. My point is not that tablets should be dual-purpose...but instead, if they are, they should have screens that allow for more than watching movies.

Maybe the market will eventually split in two: (1) "average" consumers, who use tablets to, well, consume, and (2) business users who use it for database+tracking type functions.

-Matt

Nibbz

Reaction score
Im interested, only thing is why would people consider adding essentially another line when you can use your smartphone? I mean I'd like to see the monthly fees because a tablet running on 3G for free with just a monthly payment sounds like an interesting deal to say the least. I'm listening google, you've really impressed me lately.

69copo

Reaction score
Just read the article. Black Friday roll out, NICE. I usually stand in line for hours to get other people stuff including in-laws I don't like. This year it looks like I'll be standing in line for myself :).

nerdkill

Reaction score
i just don't get why this isn't an android tablet? what am i missing?

donerico

Reaction score
I like ALL toys like this. However I do not see myself actually using a tablet a lot. It would not replace either the smartphone or the laptop/desktop so it is adding a third platform to my workflow. This is less of a problem than a few years back with all the cloud synchronization available but still I don't see myself using it as much as my phone or laptop.

acles003

Reaction score
Its like they (Google) read my mind. I would have bought an Android Tablet but a Tablet running Chrome OS is even better. People refer to the iPad as a giant iPhone because it basically is just that. A tablet running Chrome will be a true alternative option between a laptop and smart phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
im not a big chrome os fan, Looking at the highlight: A OS just made for internet. Idk.... I think i would rather have Android where i have internet and have the option for games and such, Although if Android did offer a tablet i would hope they altered the UI a tad. (like adding the option for more widgets on a screen and such.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Some interesting discussion at PCWorld regarding tablets (iPad specifically) and the "consume" vs. "create" issue:

LG, iPad, and the Tablet Creation Myth - PCWorld
190422-ipad_thumb_original.jpg

"You needn't look far to find criticism of Apple's iPad as a device for consumption, not creation. The latest volley comes from Chang Ma, vice president of marketing for LG's mobile device unit, who hyped LG's upcoming Android tablet as a productivity tool. Paraphrasing Ma, the Wall Street Journal says he likes the iPad, but doesn't do much work on it, and that's where the LG tablet will stand apart.
I call bull. While Ma is right that the iPad flounders with creativity in some areas -- but not others -- the iPad's limitations are often inherent to its form. But don't take my word for it. Let's look at some other "iPad consumption vs. creation" arguments and consider whether another tablet could do better."

-Matt