Google to Offer Android 5.0 Nexus Devices Directly to Consumer Through Play Market

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm sure you're going to be paying a stiff premium for this. Anyone want to guess the price? $499? $599? $699? Higher?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Maybe not google could bite the bullet sell the phones a bit cheaper ....Especially since they want to keep pumping android out to the masses they might offer a pretty good price/sale on these devices

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I say 399 is a solid price point. People are already paying 299 for phones on verizon.
But google needs to advertise the hell out of this!

gakio12

Reaction score
700 Mhz LTE?

Since LTE is an open network and you can take any 700 Mhz LTE phone to Verizon and use their sim card, it would still work (sans 3G, would be only 4G). Couldn't Google offer phones like this without the CDMA radios? I know Verizon is trying to cover their 3G with 4G by the end of 2013.

I want to stay with Verizon because their coverage is the best, and when I am a truck driver it will be very difficult to go with T-Mobile or At&t as they don't cover the US nearly as much as Verizon with fast data (Also don't want to lose my unlimited data)

BUT, I absolutely hate how restrictive Verizon is on Android phones. Even though I frequently root and install other ROMs, they always seem to have small issues that the stock ROM doesn't have on Nexus devices.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
gakio12 said:
Since LTE is an open network and you can take any 700 Mhz LTE phone to Verizon and use their sim card, it would still work (sans 3G, would be only 4G). Couldn't Google offer phones like this without the CDMA radios? I know Verizon is trying to cover their 3G with 4G by the end of 2013.

I want to stay with Verizon because their coverage is the best, and when I am a truck driver it will be very difficult to go with T-Mobile or At&t as they don't cover the US nearly as much as Verizon with fast data (Also don't want to lose my unlimited data)

BUT, I absolutely hate how restrictive Verizon is on Android phones. Even though I frequently root and install other ROMs, they always seem to have small issues that the stock ROM doesn't have on Nexus devices.

LTE isn't as open as you think...I'm not sure if they do this yet but Verizon is trying to make their LTE only work on certain bands so that other carriers LTE will not work with Verizon

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
LTE isn't as open as you think...I'm not sure if they do this yet but Verizon is trying to make their LTE only work on certain bands so that other carriers LTE will not work with Verizon

Typical Verizon...exactly why I'll be jumping to prepaid GSM after my contract runs out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Reaction score

Not the case here. As far as I know voice and texts are still over 1x, where 4G is only data, at least until VoLTE is released. Verizon is still a CDMA carrier that needs to have phones activated, not simply by swapping SIM's.

Besides, every carrier uses their own frequency spectrum for LTE. I believe both AT&T and Verizon are on 700MHz, but Sprint is using their 1900MHz spectrum and who knows what T-Mobile and US Cellular are using.