1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Google to Offer Android 5.0 Nexus Devices Directly to Consumer Through Play Market

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Edognights, May 15, 2012.

1. Edognights

Edognights Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Recently Google began offering the Galaxy Nexus contract free on their Play Store and it seems that it was only the beginning. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal Google may have plans that could drastically effect how we buy future android devices. The report states that Google will be opening their Nexus program to multiple OEMs and that they plan to offer these new Android 5.0 devices on their play store by Thanksgiving this year. Not only will this comfort those worried that Google would show favoritism to Motorola, but it will also give their fans multiple options for carrier unlocked contract free devices. So far Google has yet to comment, but expect more details at their upcoming I/O conference. Until then, let us know what you think in the forums.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  2. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're going to be paying a stiff premium for this. Anyone want to guess the price? $499? $599? $699? Higher?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  3. DigitalDroid57

DigitalDroid57 New Member

Agreed.....totally
  4. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

You do realize that Google, or anyone else for that matter, are not twisting your arms forcing you to pay 1 red nickel for the device right?:blink:
  5. LoudRam

I don't have a problem with Google doing this. They can charge whatever they want. It's a free country (for now).

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. bdsullivan76

bdsullivan76 New Member

The devices may actually be cheaper than expected. Google alone will be profiting, no middleman to share profits with.
    Think about it samsung, moto, htc make a device. Then the propose it to a carrier for a price. The carrier then has to put a markup on the device to make a profit even if it is from renewals. If you can buy it wholesale straight from the manufacturer the cost could be greatly reduced. It would make not make sense in these tough economical times to sell a product only a few could afford.
    A carrier unlocked phone for $300-400 would sell like hotcakes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
  7. LoudRam

Agreed, it'll all come down to the price. But remember if they sell these for cheap all the phone prices could drop. That's good for us but bad for them. Do you think they would shoot themselves in the foot like that?

8. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

This is great, but it does no good for those of us on CDMA. :(
  9. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

to force the prices lower on other phones? they will still be making profit at 400 per phone, it will just be straight to them instead of vzw or ATT or whomever
  10. The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow New Member

$400 for a unlocked nexus phone, and possibly a moto nexus? Hell yea im down! As long as they can get Cdma version of the phones for those of us who are on verizon, sprint, and possibly other carriers like metro pcs/cricket/Virgin Mobile etc. Here's a quick idea, why not make the phones have both the cdma and gsm radios? Problem solved for everyone. Im getting this idea from the droid 2 global, make it compatible with a bunch of cell phone carriers around the world, but not having it locked down. Imagine, now we wouldn't have to be worried about the phones not being compatible with various carriers. We have the technology(i think it gets complicated when we start adding the 4g lte radios in).

I say $400(excellent price point for the gsm gnex) and maybe $500 is a good price point. There are already people buying smartphones for $300, so an extra 100-200 for a phone without a contract extension and not being locked to a carrier seems like a decent option. I wouldnt hesitate to do so. I just got my mom a gnex through the play store and its a win/win situation. I got her a smartphone, she doesnt have to pay for a data plan/contract extension.
  11. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Sigh...if only it were that simple. Google already no longer officially supports the CDMA handsets because the CDMA proprietaries are locked down by Qualcomm (if I remember right). Nothing I'd love more than a contract free VZW Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  12. ryanr509

ryanr509 New Member

Price isn't that bad on the nexus they are offering. Although GSM I think its $399 unlocked? Where as at AT&T or Verizon its probly $599 off contract.
  13. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Can't wait to see what this will be like
  14. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

I see it as a step forward, and market demand will control how pricing is effected.

If it doesn't work, prices may even go down if you purchase directly from the app store.
  15. CBdubz

CBdubz New Member

Umm

Never mind Jelly Bean bring us Ice Cream Sandwich!:mad::icon_evil:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  16. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Is $500 really that bad for a non contract phone? I always buy on contract. While I dont like it, I also cant justify spending $400-$500 or whatever on the phone up front. Not unless I was rich that is.

Maybe I am missing something but this just makes Google the middle man rather then VZW,ATT,etc.
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

I think this really has the potential to shake things up in the industry! I would definitely purchase a Nexus device direct from Google once my current contract is up! :i-m_so_happy:
  18. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Hope they work something out on the CDMA deal so we can play!
  19. sbenson

sbenson New Member

This will never happen sadly. Also, don't expect Google to ever deal with Verizon directly on a Nexus device again. This whole ordeal with the Nexus has cemented Verizon's stance on open handsets. This will be my final contract with Verizon and I'll be buying directly from Google next time around and going GMS (this will work out nicely since I'll most likely be living overseas anyway). Verizon's closed network is ridiculous.
  20. The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow New Member

Like I've said why not just include both gsm and cdma radios? The droid 2 global(and I think the razr and droid 4 also have them) had them. But I think the problem lies with trying to get 4g lte.
Search tags for this page

motorola droid x mb810 cm9 apn fix

what does android 5 offer