Google to Drop Nexus 6 & 9 Support

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
images

Last week, Google, the tech giant stated it will no longer release guaranteed security updates for the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 from October this year, while the Nexus 6P and 5X will stop receiving security updates in September 2018.

Nexus-Update.png

The information states that Google will provide users with just two years of Android updates and three years of security updates.

After that, without security updates, users are left extremely vulnerable to malware, hacking, viruses and other glitches.

Of course, what Google wants is for users to then upgrade their device.

Apple still offers security updates for the iPhone 5, which was released in 2012.

Google’s stance on updates wouldn’t be so much of a problem if it wasn’t for the fact that nearly a quarter of Android devices still run Android 4.4 and Android 5.1, which was released in 2013 and 2015, respectively.

Pixel-Update.png

In addition, Pixel handsets will also only be supported until October 2018 for Android updates and October 2019 for security updates.

Source: Google Blog

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
One of my turnoffs with Android ...too many devices with older versions or no support ...I switch yearly but plenty peeps like to keep phones for a bit ...

7+

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can say that again.

jk. :)

What do Security updates have to do with Android Feature updates? If I'm running a supported version of Android on my Nexus 6, I should get security updates until my version of Android is no longer supported.

Still, October 2017 is a few months away, and saying that it's not guaranteed doesn't mean that it won't get any updates. Sigh, what did going Nexus do for me? This whole time I thought I would be in the front of the line, meanwhile that has not been the case for a long time.

Ophus

Reaction score
You can say that again.

jk. :)

What do Security updates have to do with Android Feature updates? If I'm running a supported version of Android on my Nexus 6, I should get security updates until my version of Android is no longer supported.

Still, October 2017 is a few months away, and saying that it's not guaranteed doesn't mean that it won't get any updates. Sigh, what did going Nexus do for me? This whole time I thought I would be in the front of the line, meanwhile that has not been the case for a long time.

Maybe I misread, but doesn't it say that they will continue to get security updates for a year after the os version is no longer supported? At least that was the way I read it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
One of my turnoffs with Android ...too many devices with older versions or no support ...I switch yearly but plenty peeps like to keep phones for a bit ...

7+

Thats the good thing about Google updated devices. You get two years of updates to the OS and 3 years of security updates from when it is released. Plus the modding community is usually pretty big so you get even longer from the community. Samsung, Moto, etc....not so much.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One of my turnoffs with Android ...too many devices with older versions or no support ...I switch yearly but plenty peeps like to have older phones for awhile

7+

My turnoff with Google right now is the lack of support for their devices. If you didn't buy it off the Google store they treat it like it's a Samsung or HTC phone, they offer no help or support. They literally treat it like it isnt even their device.

Google need to take a page out of Apple's playbook. Right now the support is like night and day. One Plus offers better support than Google.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
security patches should be separate from OS level feature updates. I might not go from Marshmallow to Nougat, but at least if Marshmallow is still supported, I should get security updates, BY THE VERY LEAST.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That begs the question, knowing what I know about Google would it make me a sheeple if I bought a pixel product (including the Pixel 2) if Google was pricing it the same as the iPhone and the same lame support they are offering now?

We are quick to jump on apple "sheeple" but I wonder if I too would be going down the same path to support something that is less than satisfactory just so Google keeps making another device?

I have a lot of thinking to do between now and my next device purchase. Because this is upgrade year for me. And the closest to the kind of support I am seeking is sadly not an Android device but an Apple device. And at the cost that manufacturers are asking for I do not think I am being a butt for demanding a certain level of support.

I hope Google get the message and fixes their device support this year or I may end up doing something I hope not to do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
security patches should be separate from OS level feature updates. I might not go from Marshmallow to Nougat, but at least if Marshmallow is still supported, I should get security updates, BY THE VERY LEAST.

Oh I was not even talking about software I am talking about if your phone stops working whether it be a bootloop from hardware or software Google can care less. If that phone was not purchased off of their Google store sorry for you. And that is some stuff I would have expected from a company like One Plus, but Google... no.

This is a snippet of my convo with Google>

This is what is so frustrating. As this seems to be the stance of Google. If you did not buy your device through the "Google store" we can care less if the manufacturer refuses to handle the issue as we washed our hands with it. This is poor customer service and I am not just seeing this complaint with the Nexus 6P but I am also reading you guys have been doing this to Pixel customers as well which is disheartening since I was planning on replacing my Nexus 6p this year with a Pixel 2. But at the iPhone level prices I am not feeling like spending money only for an issue to arise only for me not to get any support. Because right now the manufacturer Huawei has gone deaf and Google keeps refusing to help in any way because I did not buy it from the Google store. So this what I would like to know: How can customers like me who is dealing with a known issue (http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/20/lawsuit-filed-against-google-and-huawei-over-nexus-6p-early-shutdown-issue-and-bootlooping/ …) (https://chimicles.com/ct-files-class-action-complaint-related-alleged-defect-causing-battery-drain-bootlooping-google-nexus-6p-phones/ …) and not getting help should proceed going forward when buying a Google device so we do not spend our hard earned money on a product to have it not supported when an issue arises that neither a factory reset or an update can fix?

I just need to know what to do to get this resolved as I am unable to get hep from Huawei or any other Google rep on this matter. If you can not help me please point me to who can as I am doing everything possible to resolve the issue of a device I stilll have the receipt and original box for. I am not trying to come to you as a person looking to stir up a problem. I am a long time google customer who still have the Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, and Droid in my drawer. I own two chromebooks and had spent the better of the last 7 years troubleshooting, teaching people how to use, and recommending Google products in the past. Just look at the phone of computer you own. If you went back to the store and manufacturer because of a flaw that was not of your own doing and they sent you to the name on the device because they considered it a software issue and the software developer who promoted the device as their own turned you away and refused to help you, how would you feel about said company?

Their response

We appreciate your feedback, Leonard. Also, we understand your concern and agree it's unfortunate your Nexus 6P isn't working as intended. For all Nexus devices, the warranty is provided by the place you purchased it from. We only provide warranty assistance for devices purchased from the Google Store. Since your device wasn't purchased from us, we recommend you to reach out to the retailer to know about the warranty or replacement options available for your Nexus. If the place you bought it from can't assist you, then the phone's manufacturer, Huawei, is in the best position to provide you with repair services: https://goo.gl/qz91Zi .

I understand that Google uses other manufacturers to build their device so yes I know that they would use Huawei to fulfill warranty requests. But once lawsuits are out because Huawei has failed you would think Google would step up since their name is on the device. Nope ....not one ounce of initiative to even try and help....no desire to play mediator, nothing. I think I would have respected Google more if they told me to f off because that was pretty much what I felt like I got.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have nexus 2012 and it works just fine without any updates. A little slow at times but nothing a reboot can't fix.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Well, that clinches it; no more Google phones for me...
I've been meaning to try a Chinese phone anyway. This just gives me an excuse.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
This is one of the big factors that brought me to Apple. The solid support for their devices is amazing! I really like knowing that when an update is released I can pull it immediately. I don't have to watch the internet waiting for Samsung to release it THEN for Verizon to decide to push it.... the update comes the day of release straight from Apple... it's wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I understand the frustration felt by long time Nexus owners, feeling as if Google is leaving them behind too early. Something else to consider though...my work phone has not received an OS Update, System Version update or Security Patch Update in over 4 years. And it's still running smooth and safe. It still does all those basic smart phone functions just fine and has never been hacked or over run with viruses. I wouldn't want a phone that old & outdated as my personal phone, but are monthly security patches really that important? I haven't found an app yet that won't run fine on my old, outdated work phone running Android KK.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah, good ole' Kit Kat, Android 4.4.4 was my favorite OS level. Regarding security patches, this is 2017, and to have a device on the Internet without regular security patches is not a good idea. I'm sure that I could put a Windows XP SP1 computer on the Internet, without virus protection and be OK for a good while, as long as I follow simple rules like not downloading random software from untrustworthy sources, and using a supported updated browser like Google Chrome; still the risk is there.

I'm also getting frustrated with support options from Android, but...that geek high I get when I root and install custom software that makes my phone look like an extension of my personality, living on the edge, wild, but ordered. iPhones are too boring for me. Yes, they work 99% of the time. Yes they are very stable. Yes, they are always updated, but even Jailbroken, they still lack the customization I have with Android. They still lack the usability I have, when I want to open a terminal window and do a quick script to see if it works, or download a torrent of whatever (for the sake of this exercise, let's assume it's legal), or skin my apps to match the color coordination of the wallpaper and the lock screen, because I think that's awesome. Double click my power button to open my camera. Hold the power button down while the phone is off to start the flashlight. It goes on and on.

While Apple takes the lead on providing hardware and software that is dependable and meets expectations, Google provides software that allows you to go beyond the boundaries of Fantasia.

One day though, I would have satiated my appetite for tinkering. That's the day I'll go iOS.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
No iPhone user can even imagine dealing with what Android users have to tolerate

iPhone users, can you even imagine what life would be like if the majority of those active iOS devices were running iOS 8 from all the way back in 2014?

Well guess what: that’s exactly what life is like for Android users. Android 7.0 Nougat was first released nearly a year ago and Android O, the next major Android release, has been available as a beta for more than a month now. Meanwhile, the most widely used version of Android as of yesterday is Android Lollipop, which was released to the public on November 12th, 2014. Ugh.