Google to Drop Nexus 6 & 9 Support

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Jeffrey, May 2, 2017.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    [​IMG]
    Last week, Google, the tech giant stated it will no longer release guaranteed security updates for the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 from October this year, while the Nexus 6P and 5X will stop receiving security updates in September 2018.

[​IMG]
    The information states that Google will provide users with just two years of Android updates and three years of security updates.

After that, without security updates, users are left extremely vulnerable to malware, hacking, viruses and other glitches.

Of course, what Google wants is for users to then upgrade their device.

Apple still offers security updates for the iPhone 5, which was released in 2012.

Google’s stance on updates wouldn’t be so much of a problem if it wasn’t for the fact that nearly a quarter of Android devices still run Android 4.4 and Android 5.1, which was released in 2013 and 2015, respectively.

[​IMG]
    In addition, Pixel handsets will also only be supported until October 2018 for Android updates and October 2019 for security updates.

Source: Google Blog

2. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,023
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    One of my turnoffs with Android ...too many devices with older versions or no support ...I switch yearly but plenty peeps like to keep phones for a bit ...

7+

#2 bkdodger, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    You can say that again.

jk. :)

What do Security updates have to do with Android Feature updates? If I'm running a supported version of Android on my Nexus 6, I should get security updates until my version of Android is no longer supported.

Still, October 2017 is a few months away, and saying that it's not guaranteed doesn't mean that it won't get any updates. Sigh, what did going Nexus do for me? This whole time I thought I would be in the front of the line, meanwhile that has not been the case for a long time.

4. Ophus

Ophus Member

Ratings:
    +10

Maybe I misread, but doesn't it say that they will continue to get security updates for a year after the os version is no longer supported? At least that was the way I read it.

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Thats the good thing about Google updated devices. You get two years of updates to the OS and 3 years of security updates from when it is released. Plus the modding community is usually pretty big so you get even longer from the community. Samsung, Moto, etc....not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    My turnoff with Google right now is the lack of support for their devices. If you didn't buy it off the Google store they treat it like it's a Samsung or HTC phone, they offer no help or support. They literally treat it like it isnt even their device.

Google need to take a page out of Apple's playbook. Right now the support is like night and day. One Plus offers better support than Google.

#6 pc747, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    security patches should be separate from OS level feature updates. I might not go from Marshmallow to Nougat, but at least if Marshmallow is still supported, I should get security updates, BY THE VERY LEAST.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    That begs the question, knowing what I know about Google would it make me a sheeple if I bought a pixel product (including the Pixel 2) if Google was pricing it the same as the iPhone and the same lame support they are offering now?

We are quick to jump on apple "sheeple" but I wonder if I too would be going down the same path to support something that is less than satisfactory just so Google keeps making another device?

I have a lot of thinking to do between now and my next device purchase. Because this is upgrade year for me. And the closest to the kind of support I am seeking is sadly not an Android device but an Apple device. And at the cost that manufacturers are asking for I do not think I am being a butt for demanding a certain level of support.

I hope Google get the message and fixes their device support this year or I may end up doing something I hope not to do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Oh I was not even talking about software I am talking about if your phone stops working whether it be a bootloop from hardware or software Google can care less. If that phone was not purchased off of their Google store sorry for you. And that is some stuff I would have expected from a company like One Plus, but Google... no.

This is a snippet of my convo with Google>

Their response

I understand that Google uses other manufacturers to build their device so yes I know that they would use Huawei to fulfill warranty requests. But once lawsuits are out because Huawei has failed you would think Google would step up since their name is on the device. Nope ....not one ounce of initiative to even try and help....no desire to play mediator, nothing. I think I would have respected Google more if they told me to f off because that was pretty much what I felt like I got.

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    I have nexus 2012 and it works just fine without any updates. A little slow at times but nothing a reboot can't fix.

11. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Well, that clinches it; no more Google phones for me...
    I've been meaning to try a Chinese phone anyway. This just gives me an excuse.

12. droidprincess

droidprincess Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,092
    Current Phone Model:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Twitter:
    droidprincesstx
    This is one of the big factors that brought me to Apple. The solid support for their devices is amazing! I really like knowing that when an update is released I can pull it immediately. I don't have to watch the internet waiting for Samsung to release it THEN for Verizon to decide to push it.... the update comes the day of release straight from Apple... it's wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
Search tags for this page

is nexus 6 upgradable to android 7