Google to cut 20% of Motorola's staff

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google to Cut 20% of Motorola's Staff - WSJ.com

Google is cutting about 20% of Motorola Mobility's work force, a move the company said is designed to return its mobile-devices unit to profitability.

Motorola will shave 4,000 positions of a total of about 20,000. Two-thirds of the reductions will take place outside the U.S. In addition, Motorola plans to close or consolidate about 30 of its 90 facilities. The company said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it will "shift its emphasis from feature phones to more innovative and profitable devices."

smokeyrd

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else see motorola becoming the manufacturer that has its entire purpose being to destroy apple devices? I see them coming out with top-tier devices that cost a pretty penny (but less than iphones) and stomp apple's claims of being faster/stronger/better. Hopefully they do this while consolidating some of the hardware malfunctions that have plagued the recent devices.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No it's not just you smoke. It's in every company's interest to become "the top dog". Apple is definitely the top company right now, and every company is going after them. Whether they're the top company by the numbers or not, every company (Samsung, Moto, HTC, HP, Dell, etc.) all compare their products to the iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Even if Apple does fall down the ranks to maybe 2 or 3, they will still be looked at as the company to beat because of what they've done to the technology industry.

Even if you look at laptops now, they're all going to aluminum and ditching the cheap material, we can all thank the macbook for that. Especially if you look at HP and Dell, their products have took a freefall in quality the past few years, they're just picking up in quality now and even companies such as Asus are becoming more aesthetically pleasing. Like it or not, Apple revolutionized more than just the mobile world, they revolutionized the way we see technology and as much as I despise Apple, I can definitely appreciate what they've done. Thanks to them we are seeing higher quality products from companies who assumed they already won the market.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am pleased about this.
Hope you're happy about the profitable they're hoping to make and not the cutting back of jobs. I just feel bad for the people who had to lose their jobs for Moto to obtain that goal.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Staff cutting is very common during an acquisition. Either to cut on costs, or to replace people with other people from the company that acquired it. Hopefully, some of Motorola's employees started looking for new employment after Google officially got Motorola.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
dezymond said:
Hope you're happy about the profitable they're hoping to make and not the cutting back of jobs. I just feel bad for the people who had to lose their jobs for Moto to obtain that goal.

Yes. I am pleased about them avoiding a redundancy of positions and cleaning house while it is still easy to do so.

Of course it's unfortunate for those people losing jobs but it's expected and it's better than the alternative.

dscan

Reaction score
Glad they are cleaning up, too bad people had to be let go in the process. It would be nice to see more funds going into faster android updates for their current phones.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
No it's not just you smoke. It's in every company's interest to become "the top dog". Apple is definitely the top company right now, and every company is going after them. Whether they're the top company by the numbers or not, every company (Samsung, Moto, HTC, HP, Dell, etc.) all compare their products to the iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Even if Apple does fall down the ranks to maybe 2 or 3, they will still be looked at as the company to beat because of what they've done to the technology industry.

Even if you look at laptops now, they're all going to aluminum and ditching the cheap material, we can all thank the macbook for that. Especially if you look at HP and Dell, their products have took a freefall in quality the past few years, they're just picking up in quality now and even companies such as Asus are becoming more aesthetically pleasing. Like it or not, Apple revolutionized more than just the mobile world, they revolutionized the way we see technology and as much as I despise Apple, I can definitely appreciate what they've done. Thanks to them we are seeing higher quality products from companies who assumed they already won the market.

I can appreciate Apple's build quality...but that's about it. They make solid, well built devices...but that comes with a cost...such as non-removable batteries and whatnot, which sucks for iPhone users.
Having a removable battery is a big deal to me. I'd like to be able to replace it should it go bad, or upgrade to an extended battery if I wanted.

I have a MacBook Pro through work. It's very nice. But I can't stand any of Apple's OS's, so I run Windows 7 on it.
The best of both worlds really. I have Apple's build quality plus the better OS. :biggrin:

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to install JellyBean on my iPad2 (also got through work). :happy3:

I feel for those who are losing their jobs. But that's life. It happens. From strictly an Android fan's perspective, I'm excited about the way Google is rallying the troops and possibly cranking out some even better devices in the future.

smokeyrd

Reaction score
Being someone who has been on the job's "ban wagon" before, it does suck...just do like i did...take it like a champ, offer any assistance they need in the future, do a couple consulting gigs if your expertise permits, and youll be back in no time!