Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

creaky

Reaction score
What should I used? Can you Smell what the Rock is Cookin!!! Or You can See Me!!! Or Go Old School "Every bodies Got A Price!!!":rofl3: Sorry I love Wrestling!!!

As long as you're not cooking rocks.

Seriously, this is huge news and I look forward to some amazing products down the road.

jjhiza

Reaction score
Can you say google buys verizon five times fast?

Sent from my Incredible 2

Lol, nice! If Google bought Verizon, it would be game over. iPhones would no longer be sold there, and I would venture to say that every Android device maker would eventually migrate to Big Red. It would be a one-stop-shop for everything Android, but would cripple the other two carriers in irreparable fashion.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

joker402

Reaction score
Is it to late to buy motor stock?????????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
Ok... Those of you who think that this immediately means all future Moto devices will be unlocked need to wake up. Not going to happen. First of all, lets go into the myth that Moto was the evil one for locking them down... What would they possibly have to gain by doing so? All their profits came up front through the initial purchase. Even if/when you are talking about refurb phones that are returned due to 'bricking' by faulty root, the phones being sent back out are not new, and have already been paid for by someone else. The profits they lose were negligible, and if they had unlocked phones, they would have only been more popular.

No, as long as the carriers demand the phones to be locked down, we will simply not see unlocked bootloaders until the Devs are able to crack them. Now, we might see Google shift Moto into not encrypting their bootloaders so you could possibly load some other kernals, but unless Google goes out and purchases Verizon, you just aren't going to see these unlocked phones you so crave. Bionic will still be locked, and will still come with Blur. Due to the developing that already went into it, it probably also comes encrypted, because Google isn't going to have Moto go back to the drawing board with only a couple weeks before its released. Do that, and they risk an even bigger egg on their face than HTC saw with the Thunderbolt. Really, we're not going to see any consumer-related benefits to this until likely late Q4 2011 at the earliest. For the time being, this was all about getting the patents to get Apple and Microsoft off Android's junk.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Lol, nice! If Google bought Verizon, it would be game over. iPhones would no longer be sold there, and I would venture to say that every Android device maker would eventually migrate to Big Red. It would be a one-stop-shop for everything Android, but would cripple the other two carriers in irreparable fashion.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
If that happened, Google would honestly rule the world (or atleast the US) with an iron fist..or would it be a Android fist? It would be epic thought. I could see Google offering LTE speeds for only 10.99 a month. They wouldn't need to charge any more because they'd be selling phones like IHOP sells pancakes.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Ok... Those of you who think that this immediately means all future Moto devices will be unlocked need to wake up. Not going to happen. First of all, lets go into the myth that Moto was the evil one for locking them down... What would they possibly have to gain by doing so? All their profits came up front through the initial purchase. Even if/when you are talking about refurb phones that are returned due to 'bricking' by faulty root, the phones being sent back out are not new, and have already been paid for by someone else. The profits they lose were negligible, and if they had unlocked phones, they would have only been more popular.

No, as long as the carriers demand the phones to be locked down, we will simply not see unlocked bootloaders until the Devs are able to crack them. Now, we might see Google shift Moto into not encrypting their bootloaders so you could possibly load some other kernals, but unless Google goes out and purchases Verizon, you just aren't going to see these unlocked phones you so crave. Bionic will still be locked, and will still come with Blur. Due to the developing that already went into it, it probably also comes encrypted, because Google isn't going to have Moto go back to the drawing board with only a couple weeks before its released. Do that, and they risk an even bigger egg on their face than HTC saw with the Thunderbolt. Really, we're not going to see any consumer-related benefits to this until likely late Q4 2011 at the earliest. For the time being, this was all about getting the patents to get Apple and Microsoft off Android's junk.
HTC phones on Verizon aren't locked down as much as Moto is. Nor do they have as much bloat as Moto phones. Actually the only bloat HTC phones seem to have is Sense.

Beardface

Reaction score
Is it to late to buy motor stock?????????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Considering the fairly significant bump that Moto Mobility (MMI) got after the purchase was announced, it likely would not be wise to purchase their stock right now. In fact, if I had stock in MMI, I'd be looking to sell and capitalize on the overnight growth my money had made. As for a long-term investment, I'd remain skeptical as to how that stock will be handled. Depends on if Google wants to keep it on its own, or wants to take it into the overall bubble of Google (GOOG), which won't necessarily grow as rapidly.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Acquiring Moto mobile brings many pattens to Google. Now one needs to consider how Google's current partners, Samsung and HTC, will view this move. They may decide to shift their allegiance which will disappoint many who, like iPhone users, are loyal to that particular brand.

Another issues to consider, how will Google use the open source to compete with Apple. I believe that will be answered when we learn how Samsung and HTC react.

Interesting times ahead.

Beardface

Reaction score
HTC phones on Verizon aren't locked down as much as Moto is. Nor do they have as much bloat as Moto phones. Actually the only bloat HTC phones seem to have is Sense.
Yes and no. Yes, they aren't as locked down, and that is extremely true. The Thunderbolt is a fairly easy phone to root, and I likely will be doing so after GB hits. However, it is still locked down, and you do have to jump through hoops to root and load ROMs. Moto goes the extra step in encrypting their bootloaders, so even if you obtain root, you will not be able to load a Custom ROM. The reason these companies lock down their phones like this are through the direction of the carriers (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T*Mobile). The carriers want to make sure you aren't doing anything on your devices they can't track (and charge you for).

So, unless the carriers do a complete 180 on their desire for locked phones, you won't see any unlocked bootloaders out of the box. Just won't happen. However, as I said, you may see Google take a more relaxed approach with future Moto devices and not encrypt the bootloader, so those who want to load a Custom ROM can do so. However, that all really just depends on the carriers.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I the thing most ppl have a problem with is the way Apple and MS is playing the patent game. Especially Apple.....right now. The possible Xoom lawsuit is enough to make me actually say wtf is up with Apple...

And you have to know this is basically a defensive move. Will Google do the patent game the same way as them too, time will tell. If they do? Then they are no different than those 2.

But that's the part that makes no sense. Why do people just think that Google isn't going to play the game the same way? It's defense when Google does it, but when Apple is defending the patents it owns they're anti-competitive. It doesn't make sense. Either both companies are anti-competitive or both companies are amazing and groundbreaking. One can't be one and the other the other when they're both doing the same thing...

On another note, I found the statements by the other OEM CEOs funny:

“We welcome the news of today’s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem” Peter Chou, CEO, HTC

“I welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” Bert Nordberg, President & CEO, Sony Ericsson

“We welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D, President & CEO, LG

“We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem” J.K. Shin, President, Samsung, Mobile Communications Division

Smells of pure PR, and I can't see how any other OEM can be happy about this when they'll be competing with the supplier now (even though Google claims no favoritism, a $12B investment is going to result in them favoring Moto somehow).

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm cautiously optimistic that this is going to be a Win-Win for both companies and the consumer. I might end up sticking with Moto for the time being, while this acquisition pans out. Vanilla Android - Ice Cream Sandwich, even - on the Droid 3 would be a dream come true!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Acquiring Moto mobile brings many pattens to Google. Now one needs to consider how Google's current partners, Samsung and HTC, will view this move. They may decide to shift their allegiance which will disappoint many who, like iPhone users, are loyal to that particular brand.

Another issues to consider, how will Google use the open source to compete with Apple. I believe that will be answered when we learn how Samsung and HTC react.

Interesting times ahead.

Agreed 100%. As much as Google can say they won't favor Motorola, its going to be difficult for them not to, and for the other OEMs to believe them. I wonder if any of them will "defect" to Windows 7...

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I don't think this news is gonna change the Bionic. The Bionic was announced WAY before this news. I'm sure this news will only affect phones "after"

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

I think it will affect the updates the Bionic gets. Motorola should be the first inline to get it.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I think it will affect the updates the Bionic gets. Motorola should be the first inline to get it.
It'll probably be between Motorola phones and the Nexus phones. Google can't forget it's babies....unless of course, the next Nexus phones are all/mostly Motorola