Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Markster1

Reaction score
I think some of you aren't understanding why Google did this. They bought Motorola to DEFEND Android, not for the money. Yes, making money is a plus and they probably did say "We will make more money, fkyh." HTC, Samsung, etc have already said they support Google's decision. This is only making Android stronger, and getting Apple off the backs of Samsung and HTC.

You may say I'm naive for believing that Google is only trying to make Android stronger, but being an Android enthusiast and lover, I full heartedly believe this and support Google all the way.

Oh I definitely think they made this move to defend their bottom line and android, they have a lot invested. I'm just wondering where they are going with all this. They are definitely maneuvering in a way to be a global player.

I'm not knocking google just making observations. Google is still a winner in my book!
Sent from my Incredible 2

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Maybe it will, and Moto will delay the Bionic even more so that the bloader can be unlocked. If I was Google, I'd say "Now that we own you, unlock that damn bootloader on the Bionic before you release it!"

Really? Delay it again and lose business to SGS2 or HTC Vigor. I don't think so.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My thing is everyone was screaming anti-competitive and stifling innovation when MSFT or AAPL played the patent game, but now that Google's doing it, it's "groundbreaking" and "amazing".

this acquisition was purely for patents, and it really only serves to validate what apple's been doing forever. I for one think it was a great move, but I also thought that about Apple and Microsoft when they tried to protect their patents (something some members here called anti-competitive). And let's not forget Google and the "hostile, organized war against Android" haha...

Google is just as "evil" as every other company

I the thing most ppl have a problem with is the way Apple and MS is playing the patent game. Especially Apple.....right now. The possible Xoom lawsuit is enough to make me actually say wtf is up with Apple...

And you have to know this is basically a defensive move. Will Google do the patent game the same way as them too, time will tell. If they do? Then they are no different than those 2.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Really? Delay it again and lose business to SGS2 or HTC Vigor. I don't think so.

i agree. besides, Google doesn't own Moto yet. Moto is still its own company right now, and the Bionic is too far along, and Moto is too committed to its release, to make any significant changes. we may see changes to the Bionic post-acquisition, but not before release.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
What a chess play. I cant think of a better move for google....now unlock my bootloader, dammit.lol

Sent from my DROID3

Markster1

Reaction score
I think the patent wars are all crazy and asinine! All the companies are encroaching on others patents. They are all making boatloads of money yet they are greedy and want more.

They should just quit fighting and get to manufacturing the best device they can so we, the consumer, wins and lower the cost in the process.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
i agree that it won't affect the initial release of the Bionic. but, it might impact it later down the line. possibly an ota/tool to unlock the bootloader?! quicker update to ICS?! maybe getting rid of Blur?? the Bionic is moving up in my personal rankings. will have to wait a couple months to see how things start shaking out, and whether the Sammy Nexus Prime will stay at the top of my list.
I hope so. Now this is making me come back to the Bionic. I think I'll still wait a while longer until the SG2 and Vigor are released, or more info is out. I'd hate to run a get the Bionic, thinking this will get the BLoader unlocked, and it doesn't. :(

Why not? They already delayed it from it's June release date and lost business to the Charge and TBolt and some X2 owners. Unlocking the bootloader probably won't even need a delay and if it did, it'd probably only be a week or so. I think people would wait. We've already waited long enough for the SG2 and if it doesn't have Verizon LTE, I don't think it will sell the same. A lot of people are starting to go with 4G since it's the same price as 3G. The Vigor ,on the other hand, probably won't be out til late October. I'm kind of hoping it will be out sooner though, since they just starting playing the Thunderbolt commercials on TV again, which is a good sign that it's reaching it's EOL.

Markster1

Reaction score
They don't even need to delay a week, just do an ota update as soon as its activated.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I the thing most ppl have a problem with is the way Apple and MS is playing the patent game. Especially Apple.....right now. The possible Xoom lawsuit is enough to make me actually say wtf is up with Apple...

And you have to know this is basically a defensive move. Will Google do the patent game the same way as them too, time will tell. If they do? Then they are no different than those 2.
I used to like Apple, always wanted a iPhone. After getting my Droid 1, I started to say W/E Apple. I think Apple makes great devices, and the iPhone 4 is a really nice design, but I don't like Apple's attitude. They are too uppity and pompous, and it's rubbing off onto their users. My friends that have iPhones look at my Droid 1 and X2, and say "Oh, well I have an iPhone" all snotty. But yeah, Apple has a bad attitude and needs to learn to calm down. I find especially funny that they attacked Samsung (the one who provides all the hardware that makes their phone great), HTC, and Google, and at the same time, they starting showing off iOS 5, has a lot of Android inspired things. Mainly, the notification dropdown. But then again, according to Apple, they had it first. -.-

barski

Reaction score
This is great news! Very smart on Google's end considering the huge hit the OG Droid and the Droid X were, as well as many others. Now Motorola devices will get the latest updates first and ups are chances of not seeing blur or a locked bootloader in future phones!dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Markster1

Reaction score
I like apple but I don't like their closed operating system. Why can't we mount storage as a hard drive? People get around it anyway. This hasn't stored me from buying tho as I have 4 apple products.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I used to like Apple, always wanted a iPhone. After getting my Droid 1, I started to say W/E Apple. I think Apple makes great devices, and the iPhone 4 is a really nice design, but I don't like Apple's attitude. They are too uppity and pompous, and it's rubbing off onto their users. My friends that have iPhones look at my Droid 1 and X2, and say "Oh, well I have an iPhone" all snotty. But yeah, Apple has a bad attitude and needs to learn to calm down. I find especially funny that they attacked Samsung (the one who provides all the hardware that makes their phone great), HTC, and Google, and at the same time, they starting showing off iOS 5, has a lot of Android inspired things. Mainly, the notification dropdown. But then again, according to Apple, they had it first. -.-

1st of all i am sueing you all. i patented the way to communicate by streaming letters together to make words. and i need the money because im being sued by the guy that patented words.

Googles business is based on being on as many devices as possible. this only makes that easier since the patents they would own they can allow android phone developers to use without worry of being sued.
I have been expecting something like this for a while. didnt think it would be motorola thought it would be a smaller company. i also expect them to get into the carrier business in the years to come.

what i havent seen here is...motorola was known to be working on thier own OS. so this does 2 things. 1 it insures android stays on motorola phones. 2nd they now have access to whatever this os was and can incorperate things they like into android.

I think this will be a good thing. and will only be postivie for the other android phone makers.
Youll be able to judge this by how mauch apple and MS fight it . if they fight hard against it than you know its a god thing for android.

Markster1

Reaction score
Can you say google buys verizon five times fast?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
This is simply amazing. I'm even more excited about the bionic now.