Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh...and those wishing they could buy Samsung.....you might as well say you wish they could buy Apple...lol

Moto Mobility probably needed to be bought. Samsung doesnt. Samsung has their hands in too many different markets.

Markster1

Reaction score
Nobody has enough money to buy Apple AND they're not for sale!

Sent from my Incredible 2

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
And you REALLY think that is going to change with Google owning Moto? Wanna buy a bridge? It will be interesting to revisit this thread a year from now. I really doubt anything will be better.
Seeing how Google's intention for Android was OPEN. Then yes, since you know Google owns them, they have to follow Google. Bloat will probably still be, Blur is a maybe. Since Google likes having their Pure Android Experience, they will work on integrating Blur into Android a lot better, so that it is seamless or remove it all together. Not to mention the next Nexus device (Prime or after) will probably be on Moto, which has to be vanilla Android, and no locked bloader.

Asphyx

Reaction score
To those who think this is going to hurt the competition, well ALL of the CEOs of those companies have welcomed the purchase. This was a purchase for Patents as Google is very short on mobile technology Patent ownership.
Motorola who has been in the Mobile communication business before just about EVERYONE owns a ton of patents. Probably more than Nokia, Apple and MS combined. Patents that now can be incorporated into Android and made available to those competing partners like Samsung and HTC who run Android on thier units...

But i wouldn't hold my breath on bootloaders being unlocked anytime soon and I don't expect to see Moto become the Official Manufacturer of the "Google Experience" phones. I don't even expct Blur to go away. What I do expect is this deal taking a year before it's completed as I expect Apple and MS to fight it tooth and nail.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That model just changed now, they'll be making money off of patents, intellectual rights along with software and hardware motorola owns.

Look at the big picture, google is gobbling everything up it can at an increasing pace. Their goal? I don't like the looks of it.

Sent from my Incredible 2

How about they are trying to defend themselves from all the patent lawsuits? They got basically shut out of the Nortel patent purchase...and some folks said that was a good thing. But they offer free Wifi in Mountain View and with some airline last year.

I know the "Dont Be Evil" thing isnt an entirely true mantra....maybe they are the lesser of evils...

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That's all I can say is... wow! Huge! The FTC will probably have a cow, though...

Motorola should be ripe with patents. Notice that Apple and MS haven't gone after Motorola. HTC can't be too happy, though. They've got nowhere to go now. MS is locked in with Nokia and Google with Motorola.

Still, I'm happy. All these recent patent disputes have been hurting Android significantly. That should soon come to an end. I suspect that Google acquired a few patents that will hurt Oracle/Sun as well.

Actually, APPLE has gone after Motorola for the XOOM tablet recently

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

jjhiza

Reaction score
I think some of you might be missing the point here. Motorola has been (for a couple years now) the least developer friendly manufacturer on the market, with locked bootloaders etc, while at the same time, making some of the most desireable devices on the market. With Google's buyout, Motorola will be forced to comply with Google's guidelines, meaning (possibly) unlocking devices from the gate, and scrapping the Blur UI. Although the new "Blur that isn't Blur" isn't really all that bad, I would expect all Motorola devices to ship with vanilla Android from here on out, which is great news.

Also, I don't think this will have an adverse effect on companies like HTC or Samsung at all. Motorola was the Android platform's single largest holder of patents…patents which, if "open sourced" to other manufacturers (namely HTC), could help them protect themselves during this assinine patent war that Apple has kicked up. It would be in Google's best interests to make those patents available to the other companies that support the platform, as a way to ensure the survivability of the OS. Google is buying more than a company here…they're also buying protection; protection for the platform against the pirates at Apple, and protection from consumer and developer backlash, over the locked down state of Motorola's devices. If all Moto's devices ship unlocked from here on out, I would expect the other manufacturers to follow suit. The aquisition could also signal Google's move to support 3rd party firmware, like CM, DC, and Liquid, along with launcher developers like Fede, AnderWeb, etc.

Google may also end up with a tighter grip on the retail market as well (Verizon especially), as carriers will be all but forced to comply with the parameters set forth by Google, or risk losing their biggest sources of revenue. If tethering, for instance, is a native feature on Motorola devices in the future, Verizon will be backed into a corner in regards to charging extra for giving us the "privilage" to use our paid data any way we see fit.

Guys, this is more than just a merger, aquisition, or partnership…this is an insurance policy and a paradigm shift for the entire Android platform. I see nothing but good things on the horizon. Get ready…change is coming!

PS…I don't think this will effect the Bionic at all. It's already cleared FCC, and is due out next month. If changes were to be made, it would mean another 5-6 month delay, which would set many Verizon customers on the warpath.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

EFGantry

Reaction score
to me, this is outstanding news. imo, Moto's hardware is top of the heap. it's just their business strategy has been atrocious for the last year and a half. you take Google's business model, and couple it with Moto's hardware - huge win! giving Moto's devices the newest versions of Android OS - that has me all tingly! :D

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This news will definately change some peoples minds on the Bionic.

end of line...

I don't think this news is gonna change the Bionic. The Bionic was announced WAY before this news. I'm sure this news will only affect phones "after"

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I think some of you aren't understanding why Google did this. They bought Motorola to DEFEND Android, not for the money. Yes, making money is a plus and they probably did say "We will make more money, fkyh." HTC, Samsung, etc have already said they support Google's decision. This is only making Android stronger, and getting Apple off the backs of Samsung and HTC.

You may say I'm naive for believing that Google is only trying to make Android stronger, but being an Android enthusiast and lover, I full heartedly believe this and support Google all the way.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about they are trying to defend themselves from all the patent lawsuits? They got basically shut out of the Nortel patent purchase...and some folks said that was a good thing. But they offer free Wifi in Mountain View and with some airline last year.

I know the "Dont Be Evil" thing isnt an entirely true mantra....maybe they are the lesser of evils...

My thing is everyone was screaming anti-competitive and stifling innovation when MSFT or AAPL played the patent game, but now that Google's doing it, it's "groundbreaking" and "amazing".

this acquisition was purely for patents, and it really only serves to validate what apple's been doing forever. I for one think it was a great move, but I also thought that about Apple and Microsoft when they tried to protect their patents (something some members here called anti-competitive). And let's not forget Google and the "hostile, organized war against Android" haha...

Google is just as "evil" as every other company

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I don't think this news is gonna change the Bionic. The Bionic was announced WAY before this news. I'm sure this news will only affect phones "after"

Maybe it will, and Moto will delay the Bionic even more so that the bloader can be unlocked. If I was Google, I'd say "Now that we own you, unlock that damn bootloader on the Bionic before you release it!"

EFGantry

Reaction score

i agree that it won't affect the initial release of the Bionic. but, it might impact it later down the line. possibly an ota/tool to unlock the bootloader?! quicker update to ICS?! maybe getting rid of Blur?? the Bionic is moving up in my personal rankings. will have to wait a couple months to see how things start shaking out, and whether the Sammy Nexus Prime will stay at the top of my list.