Google texting

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
How do you set up google voice to do texting with out getting charged by the carrier for texting.
I have texting turned on in google voice but I am getting billed for it.
I have searched the forum but cant find an answer to how it is supposed to be set up to keep the carrier from charging for the texts.
Do you have to only text throught the ggole voice app ?
Do you have to port your number to google voice ?

OP
sst45jeff

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
How to set up google voice for free texting.

162 views & nobody could point me in the right direction, so I did some more digging & finally found some straight forward info on how to set up google voice for free texting.
If you have a Google Gmail you have access to Google Voice,
so the first thing you must do is set up your Google Voice account.
To get to that page of your Google account follow the instructions below:

1. Go to your Gmail inbox.

2. Go to the bottom and click “even more”, you will then be directed to a Google products page.

3. Find the Voice button and click it.

4. Choose your phone number.

5. Create your pin and accept the terms and conditions.

6. Add the phone number you would like Google Voice calls forwarded to. You can add more than one but if you want to set up free text messages one of them needs to be your mobile number.

7. Have Google verify your phone number.

Next download the Google Voice application from the Play store.
You will send and receive text messages through this interface as opposed to the default text message application on your phone.
Now that you have your Google Voice account set up and the mobile application on your phone it’s time to configure your Google Voice account to make the magic happen.

1. Under the gear looking icon on the top right of the page in your Google Voice account click “Settings”. You will then be brought to the page where you manage your external phone numbers.

2. Click edit under your cellular phone number and you will then be able to configure how texts sent to your Google Voice number are handled.

3. At the top of this page choose “Phones”.

4. In the forward calls section be certain that the radio box under “Receive text messages on this phone” is not checked. If it is it will send a text to your cellular number and you will be charged accordingly.

5. Save your changes.

You are now ready to drop your texting plan with your carrier and text via your Google voice number. The key here is that you have to be disciplined enough to only give out your Google Voice number, otherwise people who have your regular cell number will continue to text that number and you will be charged texting fees.
If you plan on implementing this system, I would highly suggest calling your carrier and having them “block” any text messages to your cellular phone number. You don’t want people who already have your cell number texting it, thus creating additional expenses.
Everyone will not feel comfortable strictly texting via Google Voice and the mobile application, but if you feel you can commit to this system it will save you anywhere from $5 to $30 per month.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Sorry...would have responded but I haven't been on the site in a while.

Google Voice is awesome, I love it...except for the fact you can't send images when using it for texting. That's the only thing that annoys me...well, that and not being able to send texts to short text numbers, like the kind some radio stations use or some companies use for promotions, etc. Hopefully those features get added soon...but it's been years and a lot of folks have been wanting them for some time...so...who knows when it may be added, if at all.
They aren't really a deal breaker for me though, because I can send an image quite easily from my phone in an email...it's when folks try to send me an image text is when it kind of sucks because they aren't notified that I didn't get it and I am not notified someone tried to send me anything. But apparently when Sprint users send an image in a text, it will go to your email. So that's something I guess. And if I really wanted to send a text to a short text number, I can always send it through my phone's original phone number...I'd just get charged a dime or whatever for it since I cancelled my texting plan.

I love all of the other features though...like the ability to receive a transcript of an voicemail in your email, the easy access to voicemail in your notification window, being able to access all of your texts and voicemail through your browser and even make calls through the Google Voice web interface on your computer using a mic.
And of course, kind of being able to pick your own phone number...at least from the ones they have available.

HERE'S A TIP:
Before I started using Google Voice a couple years ago, I had a popup notification app that would display new texts in a popup window. I loved it...and there are a handful of apps that do this.

But upon switching my entire phone over to Google Voice, the app didn't work with Google Voice texting. I was bummed...until I found an app called, "Notify".
It works with Google Voice and just about any other app on your phone that gives notifications (calendar, asterid, etc). AWESOME!!

The developer was great in working with me when the app wouldn't initially work right with Google Voice on my Rezound. They released another version a couple days or so later with fixes for Google Voice and now it works great!

There is also a pay version of the app called "Notify Pro" and another add-on app called "Notify Plus". I bought Notify Pro because I was impressed with it and to simply say thanks to the developer.

Notify is awesome. I miss far fewer messages with this app and you can change the look and feel of the popup window.
There is also a free app called "Popup" that does the same kind of thing and works with Google Voice as well, but I think Notify is more customizable and has some more features.

Those are the only two apps (I am currently aware of) that display Google Voice messages and texts in popup notification windows.

It's seriously one of those apps that once you have, you can't live without...and I think those are the kind worth paying for.