Google Talk Video crashes after update. Is there an easy way to unroot and reset?

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
The OTA update on my rooted droid 3 went smooth and everything works fine... EXCEPT that I can't video chat in google talk and it crashes.

Does anybody know of a workaround? I was looking for ways to re-install talk but it looks like a core app so I don't know where I'd re-download it.

What's the easiest way to reset the device to a factory default and start over if I want to? Just unroot and wipe data?

OP
D

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Would unrooting and then running the .890 update over again reset the system apps?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Probably not. There is a very slight chance it could fix the problem so it could be a good first attempt, but I think Ive read of folks having problems doing that.

I would first try clearing the applications cache and closing it, then a battery pull, followed by a hard reset if neither of those work. There are instructions in the Droid3 FAQ part of the forum for a hard reset. The only thing you need to remember is to not sync your apps. Load them through the marked instead and do so slowly while testing for a return of the problem.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-faq/169057-droid-3-hard-reset.html

Last edited:
OP
D

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
How do I clear the application cache? Are you talking about the individual data for talk or the /cache folder?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Settings, Applications, Manage Applications. Use the All tab and scroll down to the application. Clear the data and cache and force close it.

OP
D

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Settings, Applications, Manage Applications. Use the All tab and scroll down to the application. Clear the data and cache and force close it.

Yea, I tried that before, but didn't do the battery pull. Tried again with the battery pull and it's all golden now.

So now my rooted and bloatware frozen droid 3 is working beautifully with the new update. :) Still having about 80% battery before I go to sleep at night now too. Not bad for a whole day's use. :)