Google Talk Issue

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Sorry if this has come up somewhere else, but this is driving me nuts and I've had zero luck searching the issue (found some threads on google's help forum that came close, but not quite there).

I have an issue with Google Talk that has repeated itself several times. I haven't yet done exhaustive testing, but it's cropped up enough to seem repeatable. My issue is with opening a Google Talk chat from within the notification pane. Here's the scenario:

1. receive a ping from a buddy in google talk, it appears in my notification shade with some of the text (this is fine)
  2. tap on conversation from within notification shade in order to open the conversation and reply
  3. this launches Google talk momentarily and it then closes -- this does not appear to be an error-less force close, the app is still running I think, it just returns me to the home screen without ever opening the conversation thread
  4. with the notification now gone (I clicked on it) I have to tap the Google Talk icon from my homescreen.
  5. this opens Google talk to my buddy list, not to the conversation in question
  6. tap on contact with conversation bubble to open conversation thread

This issue seems to crop up when Google talk opens, by default, to the buddy list (not the conversation). After experiencing this issue I typically do the following:

1. reply to the ping I have just received
  2. hit the home haptic key to return to my homescreen - without returning to the buddy-list view in Google Talk
  3. when I receive another ping I am able to open directly to the conversation thread using the notification pane item

I'm looking for anyone who might have had a similar issue or anyone who has any thoughts. My apologies if this isn't totally clear, the scenario is a little hard to write out. Let me know and I can clarify anything. Thanks!

Project37

Reaction score
Do you have other messaging apps that might be causing a conflict?

OP
Fraxinus

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Do you have other messaging apps that might be causing a conflict?

Thanks for the response. Good question...I have Meebo installed but have basically stopped using it. I have installed Handcent SMS as well though that's a totally different type of service...

I've had Meebo since very early on in my ownership, so I'm not sure if I faced this issue prior to installing that app...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried the gTalk application for your PC? Does that mirror the same issues?

Also, as mentioned, another app might be conflicting if you've got your gMail account being used there too.

OP
Fraxinus

Fraxinus

Reaction score
@Martin - I haven't experienced issues on my PC but that probably wouldn't relate to my issue anyway. The problem is with the foreground window of GTalk on my phone disappearing when I should be directed straight to an in-progress chat.

I tested some more with a friend running a Droid and could not duplicate the issue between our two google talk accounts (I've only noticed this issue when chatting with my wife who is on a Blackberry with google talk). I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that this should be device independent in terms of who my message comes from - either way it passes through google's servers and should be sent to my Droid in the same format regardless. This seems more like a device software issue than anything to do with server interaction.

I have noticed some flaky behavior with Google talk connecting to the server lately though. The connection drops and then reacquires - I get a red message in the body of my chat indicating the failed connection. I'll continue to keep an eye on it and see what happens...