Google Takes a Stand for Gmail Users; Refuses Police Access Without a Warrant

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gmail-logo-black.jpg

It's certainly a fine line that Google must walk with governments around the world when it comes to the various laws and restrictions they must follow. With some notable exceptions, for the most part, Google does its best to protect its users' privacy and maintain a stance of fairness. Today we have one excellent example of Google taking a stand for its customers, specifically its Gmail users. Google is now solidifying their stance on warrantless searches of a customer's Gmail account, and putting their foot down against police requests without a warrant. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

"In order to compel us to produce content in Gmail we require an ECPA search warrant," said Chris Gaither, Google spokesperson. "If they come for registration information, that's one thing, but if they ask for content of e-mail, that's another thing."

While relatively few tech companies publicly disclose how many government requests they get, Google appears to be one of the few e-mail providers that is challenging law enforcement agencies to produce a warrant to access users’ e-mail.

It's comforting to see that Google takes things like this so seriously. We can't say they have a perfect track record, but at least they strive for integrity.

Source: Ars Technica

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Way to go Google!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sadly, it only took how long for this to happen, as well as so much pressure from its userbase. I'm glad it is like this now, but wish it was always like that.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Hmmm, I work for a law enforcement agency and having to need a warrant to access anybody's info should be required. Facebook, instagram, Twitter, MySpace, Gmail, Yahoo......I don't think Google did anything new. I've always gotten warrants, surprised they didn't require it before. I have Gmail account myself. Even though I'm the police I would want my privacy protected better, lol.

helron

Reaction score
Google requires WARRANT for email content

FYI
Verizon requires a Court Subpeona for all account/subscriber info for landline phones, cells, and Internet accounts.
Subpeona required for all in/out calls <numbers)in areas where data is available.
A search Warrant required for all email searches, texts, photos. As for Social,media,like Twitter and Facebook, unsure of their policy.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
don't talk political, that last statement you made helron coul get really ugly really fast, I'm avoiding the urge of responding by typing this instead.

The government will just send the mcgee's after us... they'll have your email and get the info on their own :D

helron

Reaction score
LIFTEDPLANE: Thanks for heads up. --- Clean up in Aisle 3:biggrin: I was "FYI,ing" my response to Valvoline's post about Gmail (ahead of mine. ) and others regarding Google's recent news. ---------> MY intent is/was purely informational.
Question: Are all posts in this thread potentially harmful for forum? If so, May I suggest that they all be deleted. Not a proble for me:biggrin Let's not jeopardize a great a site.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Actually the reason they are stating this publicly is due to a court ruling claiming that anything stored in the cloud is free game for investigation without a warrant.
Seeing how Gmail is in the cloud...

helron

Reaction score
I understand, and I responded. Media is media, no matter where it's housed. Think of it as a Kimdle book with publishing rights. LOL