Google Tablet PC Details: 'iPad Killer' In The Works

rstone

Reaction score
The rivalry between Apple and Google has intensified as the two companies increasingly tread on each other's turf. Steve Jobs, who accused Google of wanting to kill us, recently unveiled an Apple ad platform called iAd that's set to challenge Google's mobile advertising strategy.
Meanwhile, it seems a Google tablet PC, Google's answer to the iPad, is in the works.
Google CEO Eric Schmidt knocked the iPad at Davos earlier this year--"You might want to tell me the difference between a large phone and a tablet," he said--and recently leaked details about the Google tablet that is in the works.

The New York Timesreports,
Eric E. Schmidt, chief executive of Google, told friends at a recent party in Los Angeles about the new device, which would exclusively run the Android operating system. People with direct knowledge of the project -- who did not want to be named because they said they were unauthorized to speak publicly about the device -- said the company had been experimenting in "stealth mode" with a few publishers to explore delivery of books, magazines and other content on a tablet.
For a glimpse at Google's 'iPad killer,' check out several pictures posted to the official Chromium website which offer renderings of what a Google tablet might look like. Chromium has also posted a video demo (see below) showing how the device might work.

slide_4694_65109_large.jpg

[video=youtube;0sz8hWvP5Sc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sz8hWvP5Sc"]Youtube Concept Video[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

RoLa

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it, right now... buy an ipad... when the wepad comes out.... buy that

airwake

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it, right now... buy an ipad... when the wepad comes out.... buy that

I feel the same way. Some of these Android tablets look really promising, but right now it's just promises. Nothing fm we can check out. I bought an iPad to see if I like the idea of this type of device. I have a Macbook Pro laptop, and a tower that I built myself. I have to admit, while at home, I find myself doing more and more on the iPad and less with everything else.

Once the Adam comes out, or possibly this, I will probably sell my iPad and get one of them.

Last edited:

etx_droid

Reaction score
I would never buy an iPad for the simple reason my effin Droid can do pretty much everything the imaxipad will do albeit on a smaller screen. Apple has grown to cocky for my tastes. Have you seen this?

M

Matth3w

I would never buy an iPad for the simple reason my effin Droid can do pretty much everything the imaxipad will do albeit on a smaller screen. Apple has grown to cocky for my tastes. Have you seen this?
Your Droid can watch movies, surf the internet and play games on full brightness for over 10 hours while connected to WiFi?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Your Droid can watch movies, surf the internet and play games on full brightness for over 10 hours while connected to WiFi?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You watch a movie and play video games at the same time? And surf the web? OK

etx_droid

Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Guess he has the multi tasking iPad nobody knows about. And I don't ever think I've watched a movie and played video games at the same time...well actually I've played God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 and those are like movies.

Apple makes decent products, they just make it sound like their products are the END ALL and it gets annoying. And if you have use for an iPad awesome...I don't!

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Guess he has the multi tasking iPad nobody knows about. And I don't ever think I've watched a movie and played video games at the same time...well actually I've played God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 and those are like movies.

Apple makes decent products, they just make it sound like their products are the END ALL and it gets annoying. And if you have use for an iPad awesome...I don't!

Ah yes, the mythical multitasking iPad. Only VIP got their hands on those! :icon_ rofl:

Last edited:
M

Matth3w

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You can with a two minute process of jailbreaking.

rmcray08

Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You've watched an entire movie with that thing in your lap? Where were you? Why were you so desperate to watch a movie by yourself?

In my opinion, the iPad is a toy. It does a lot of things okay, it does nothing exceptionally well.

M

Matth3w

Airplanes, hotel rooms, long car rides, bored at the office/doctor's office while waiting etc, and when the power has gone out I have watched movies using my iPad.