Google & Sprint Supposedly Make it Official; Google to Offer Wireless Service Later This Year

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It appears the rumors of Google teaming up with one of the big four carriers to offer wireless service are true. Just a few days ago, we reported that Google was in talks with Sprint and T-Mobile to offer their own wireless service by "piggybacking" on these carriers' network infrastructure. Today, a report at Bloomberg indicates that Sprint and Google reached an agreement. Supposedly, it was Softbank's president, Masayoshi Son, who approached Google with this idea.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

It's interesting to fathom why Sprint's principal owner would go out of his way to create a deal like this. It also makes for interesting speculation as to why Google is choosing now to jump into these waters. Could Google be planning on using this new carrier service to help jump-start their Project Ara device later on?

Share your thoughts on this fascinating topic.

Source: Bloomberg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Google's not a company that I'd mind having a deal and good working relationship with if I was the head of any other company.

Will be very interesting to see where this goes for sure. Big G is obviously up to something. Hopefully that pans out to be something great for the consumer. I'm thinking it will.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    Agreed

4. Heero121

Heero121 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Current Phone Model:
    note 3
    this has something to do with Google purchasing that satellite company back last April. I think they are developing a network around the atmosphere so basically anyone anywhere can have data or a signal. Its been a while since ive read up on it, I just remember someone from Google saying before they can do anything they will test out certain protocols using cell towers. It will be nice to see what comes of it.

• Like Like x 2