Google Shows Off Google Glass UI in New Video; New Pseudo-Contest Detailed Too

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;v1uyQZNg2vE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v1uyQZNg2vE[/video]​

We have a couple of intriguing "action-items" to share with you guys today regarding Google's next big innovation, Google Glass. If you are curious about what the final Google Glass user interface will look like, then check out the video above. After seeing the concept of augmented reality start to live up to its promise, this device is more exciting than ever. If you remember back just a few years, smartphones where thought of as strange an unnecessary devices when they first got started, and now look at how much of an impact they have made on the world. It's entirely possible we are witnessing the birth of another new technology which will be just as disruptive and ground-breaking.

The video above isn't all we have either. If the new video entices you to want one of these devices, but you are not a developer, then you might be excited to learn about Google's new Google Glass pseudo-contest. We call it a pseudo-contest because you won't be able to get one of the first versions for free, but you can potentially win a chance to pay $1500 for one of these devices and be one of the first non-developers to get one. You can become a non-developer "Explorer" by defining what you would do with a set of Google Glasses in a maximum 50 word essay on Twitter or Google+. Here's a quote and link with the details,

How to apply

We’re looking for bold, creative individuals who want to join us and be a part of shaping the future of Glass. We’d love to make everyone an Explorer, but we’re starting off a bit smaller. We’re still in the early stages, and while we can’t promise everything will be perfect, we can promise it will be exciting.

Using Google+ or Twitter, tell us what you would do if you had Glass, starting with the hashtag #ifihadglass.

Your application must be 50 words or less
You must include #ifihadglass in your application
You can include up to 5 photos with your application
You can include a short video (15 secs max)
Be sure to follow us on Google+ (+ProjectGlass) or Twitter (@projectglass) so that we can contact you directly
You must be at least 18 years old and live in the U.S. to apply
For more details, please see our full Terms and FAQ

What happens next?

The deadline for applications is February 27th. If you are chosen, we will reach out to you with an invitation to become a Glass Explorer (please remember to follow us so that we can contact you directly). Explorers will each need to pre-order a Glass Explorer Edition for $1500 plus tax and attend a special pick-up experience, in person, in New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Source: Google Glass Explorer - How to Get One

Reaction score
Wow that was a lot less cooler than I originally thought it would be like. I may be alone on this, but it's a disappointment.

I thought there would be some better augmented reality in it and that the projection would be flexible in that sometimes it would be in the corner and other times it would take up your whole view. I may be thinking too far in advance of what can actually be accomplished I guess. Instead of a corner Google maps it would be incredible if the glass did some sort of projection of your way into your center field of view.

If that's what glass is like then to me it won't be worth wearing a phone/camera/camcorder on your face 24/7.

Last edited:

nickb34

Reaction score
This could be an incredible device... To the comment above, it looks to me like they are trying to make it so that it isn't too distracting.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with nickb34 above. I think if the AR were completely projected over the entire view, then it could become a hazard. Then again, a transparent overlay might be worth exploring. I am very excited by this, because of the video comms application. It was easy to assume this was some sort of video-camcorder on your head, but if you pay attention, some of the clips showed one-way video communications live! It has a very Sci-Fi vibe to it.

Reaction score
Yeah, but for the price tag it's not worth it. I absolutely love Google products, but I predict this will flop.

So far here are some functions;

Clock
Weather
GPS
Camera/Camcorder
Video chatting
Google search and picture search
Voice translation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any phone calls being made.

So essentially this is a smartphone on your face projected into a little window with less features. I know that the price in the contest is $1500, but when mass produced I'm guessing $300 with a data tie in with a cell service provider.

I didn't see anything revolutionary and I hope the final product is better and more refined.

Sure I want to toy with one just as much as the next guy, but for the functionality it seemingly provides then this thing is such an expensive gimmick. I'm just hoping this is a baby step towards something much bigger.

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Wow that was a lot less cooler than I originally thought it would be like. I may be alone on this, but it's a disappointment.

I thought there would be some better augmented reality in it and that the projection would be flexible in that sometimes it would be in the corner and other times it would take up your whole view. I may be thinking too far in advance of what can actually be accomplished I guess. Instead of a corner Google maps it would be incredible if the glass did some sort of projection of your way into your center field of view.

If that's what glass is like then to me it won't be worth wearing a phone/camera/camcorder on your face 24/7.

-They stated from the beginning that it wasn't supposed to be invasive.

-It's supposed to get the screen (phones and tablets) from compromising all your visual space. AKA get the stuff away from your face and let you see people around you.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

pretty sure you won't wear these to sleep, I personally already wear glasses and would happily go back to contacts for a chance to wear a set of these.

I just hope you can switch which eye it's shown in for those of us who have extremely poor vision in one eye, that or is shows in both eyes.

I'm thinking within the next ten years you'd be able to get something like this with a set of Rx glasses....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Let's see here.....assisted target acquisition, facial recognition, assisted low light vision.......no..no..wait...they already have those...my bad..

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but for the price tag it's not worth it. I absolutely love Google products, but I predict this will flop.

So far here are some functions;

Clock
Weather
GPS
Camera/Camcorder
Video chatting
Google search and picture search
Voice translation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any phone calls being made.

So essentially this is a smartphone on your face projected into a little window with less features. I know that the price in the contest is $1500, but when mass produced I'm guessing $300 with a data tie in with a cell service provider.

I didn't see anything revolutionary and I hope the final product is better and more refined.

Sure I want to toy with one just as much as the next guy, but for the functionality it seemingly provides then this thing is such an expensive gimmick. I'm just hoping this is a baby step towards something much bigger.

I think you nailed it right there. This will be a "baby step toward something bigger."

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I entered..told them I would ask everyone I saw for money to cover the $1500

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
nope, not practical. just another gadget needing to be recharged every couple hours.

skennelly

Reaction score
I saw this video and got more excited about this than ever. For someone who already wears glasses, this would be awesome to have built into prescription lenses.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I was excited until I remembered that Google makes money from targeting ads.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Wow. A lot of negatives on this.

I personally think this is a revolutionary device, even being in its very very early stages. Should be fun and it is definitely the next step in the super tech futuristic world. Very cool concept, let alone, actual device that already exists for some consumers to use.