Google should force companies to use the same OS

yiannis

Reaction score
Android and carrier fragmentation is the single biggest hurdle in getting better Apps and better phones.

Why must we have this polarization of communist-style uniformity from Apple vs the crazy fragmentation of Android? Microsoft dealt with that by "forcing" all PC manufacturers to use their latest OS even when it blows (Vista). Google should withdraw support of their Google Maps from companies who do not comply and find a way to reward those that do.

It is crazy that developers have to write Apps for such different OS.

trublond

Reaction score
Android and carrier fragmentation is the single biggest hurdle in getting better Apps and better phones.

Why must we have this polarization of communist-style uniformity from Apple vs the crazy fragmentation of Android? Microsoft dealt with that by "forcing" all PC manufacturers to use their latest OS even when it blows (Vista). Google should withdraw support of their Google Maps from companies who do not comply and find a way to reward those that do.

It is crazy that developers have to write Apps for such different OS.

While I agree that it is in the best interest in Androids future to limit the fragmentation that happens with the OS, I also believe that it is what makes it so desirable to the manufacturers. What GOOGLE should insist in is the ability for the end user to get back to a standard interface. For some people they love all the add-ons that the manufactures and phone providers put on the devices. But for some like myself, would love to be able to go into the settings and choose stock android.

I also believe that I should be allowed to remove such bloatware as Rockband, Blockbuster. I love my new Thunderbolt, but hate all the BS that HTC and Verizon add in. On my Droid I ran Chevy's ROM and loved it.

But remember, one of the things that makes Android so wonderful and popular is the different sizes of phones, features such as a physical keyboard and the user interfaces. There is 1 iPhone that comes in 1 size and has 1 interface. I am not bashing it, my kids each have an iPhone 4 and they love them and they work. But when I upgraded a couple of week ago I chose the Thunderbolt over the iPhone because of the choices such as screen size, LTE, apps and interface.

Google will walk a fine line in deciding just how to "control" the manufacturers and providers without pushing them to Windows 7 or creating their own OS.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Citation? People keep parroting this. What exactly are developers unable to do with the current state of things that they could do if everyone was on Froyo?

How exactly does fragmentation prevent better phones from being released? There seem to be plenty coming out and many more in the pipeline as it is.

Why must we have this polarization of communist-style uniformity from Apple vs the crazy fragmentation of Android? Microsoft dealt with that by "forcing" all PC manufacturers to use their latest OS even when it blows (Vista).
Why do you think every company needs to use MS's approach?

cpjr

Reaction score
^Are you kidding? If the developers only had 1 version of android to code for, instead of a herd of different variations to "fit" their app into....it would make developing an app MUCH easier and the overall quality would be much better as they could completely tailor it, instead of ballparking it around everything.

I love the choices, but there are cons...this is one of them.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Citation? People keep parroting this. What exactly are developers unable to do with the current state of things that they could do if everyone was on Froyo?

How exactly does fragmentation prevent better phones from being released? There seem to be plenty coming out and many more in the pipeline as it is.

Citation? Ask any Android dev. You don't just fire up the SDK and press the "convert to gingerbread" button when a new OS version is released. People take what app developers do for granted because all they do is go to the market see the red "update" and press the update button. Fragmentation definitely is a hurdle for two reasons. First, the dev has to devote far more time for support, and second the return on investment as a result of that support is virtually nil.

Customers love choice, but I doubt there's any dev out there who enjoys bug fixing his app everyday for 4 OS's and 100 devices.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score