Google Secures Patent on Ringback Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-ringback-patent.jpeg

If it isn't one thing, it's another. Google recently patented a strange, but potentially polarizing idea on a new way to deliver automated phone ads. It's called "ringback adverts" and the concept is born because Google, just like consumers, doesn't really like phone ads as they are now. Basically, instead of getting automated phonecalls from solicitors that you didn't want calling you in the first place, you would hear ads when calling out. This would be instead of the usual "ringback" sound you hear while waiting for the other party to answer.

At first ponder, this doesn't sound like too bad of an idea... instead of hearing an annoying ringback tone, you hear ads looping, which may or may not be more interesting than the ringback sound. However, I can see some folks being frustrated with this for two reasons. One, it could make you feel as if you are being held captive by the ads, just like all the annoying commercials at the beginning of movies in the movie theater, or when you buy a Blu Ray or DVD that has an ad that you can't skip at the beginning. Two, more than likely, unless some law comes out stopping active call-out telemarketing altogether, this type of advertising would likely not replace the old version, but simply be "in addition to it".

How's that for the evolution of ads? Thanks Google. :dry:

Share your perspective.

Source: UnWiredView

Last edited:

r314bd

Reaction score
Well it was bound to happen. One more step towards Idiocracy.

If/when it does come to fruition, I'd imagine that someone will develop an ad-blocking tool to counter it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd have to say that if they are putting ads for your ringback tone, you should be getting something out of it. I know I wouldn't give anyone permission to do it. What about people that pay for a custom ringback tone. Would those get overwritten. Give me a discount on my bill, sure, you can put ads on my ringback tone.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Well, no one ever said ALL of Google's ideas were good. They're a money hungry business just like any other. They just have enough good ideas to often make the majority of us look the other way. I think they typically call that bribery. *ahem*

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
yep, they "bribe" you with this great Android system so you learn to love the company, then they'll say "Android isn't making us enough money, so you're going to hear ads now"

Though, I hope they implement it this way instead: license it to businesses that have support lines. Instead of hearing "on hold" elevator music, hear ads that the company gets paid to use. The only thing is, I can see businesses saying "with the new ad system, keep them on hold for a minimum of two mins, that way we can generate some revenue while we're 'busy helping other customers'. They won't know the difference".

In reference to above comments: I don't think Google *currently* has the power/authority to change the ringback tone of consumer phone lines, since you pay VZW/your carrier to change this. They'll probably implement this first on Google Voice numbers I bet.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
and txting gets more popular!

Sweettooth

Reaction score
911 - "911, what's your emergency?"

Me - "Uh...I dunno. I had to listen to a 15 second advertisement about the cleaning power of StainPwner 3000 before it'd even dial, and I forgot...but did you know it can pwn stains on your pants FIVE TIMES more efficiently than traditional brands??"

911 - "......"

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they want to put ads within a phone call... i.e. the moment I hit send to the moment I hit end... then I should get a share of it - b/c I'm paying for that time. They have absolutely zero right to interfere with that time, IMHO.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Great, just what we need...more ads shoved down our throats.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Give me a discount on my bill, sure, you can put ads on my ringback tone.

... then I should get a share of it - b/c I'm paying for that time. They have absolutely zero right to interfere with that time, IMHO.

^^^^That. The only reason they're able to get adds to me is because I pay my phone bill. And it would seem if I wanted to place a ringback add, I'd have to pay for that. Looks to me the carriers could profit from this as well.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
google patented this for one reason, to make sure nobody does it! thanks, google! love ya

alboboy10

Reaction score
Gotta see how this works. Its probably short just instead of hearing a ringer u hear a quick bla bla bla

6bolt2g

Reaction score
I'm game if they pay my phone bill. If I don't see any monetary benefit, they can shove it.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
911 - "911, what's your emergency?"

Me - "Uh...I dunno. I had to listen to a 15 second advertisement about the cleaning power of StainPwner 3000 before it'd even dial, and I forgot...but did you know it can pwn stains on your pants FIVE TIMES more efficiently than traditional brands??"

911 - "......"

As soon as I saw the OP I was thinking of 911 to, but more so that they better make sure 911 bypasses the ads and calls directly to the 911 call center, I could see this getting some MAJOR backlash if some one needed to call 911 in a life or death situation and that 15/30/60 second, or however long it might be, add made the difference between life and death.