Google search work around

epic_engineering

Reaction score
So I traded my droid 2 in and got the Samsung Fascinate.. Didn't need the physical keyboard as I can swype up to 77 words per minute on the 2 so I'm sure i'll get better on the fascinate..

Any way to the point, The google search fix..

I hated the froyo 2.2 UI on the droid 2 so I downloaded Launcher PRO from the market. Well when I got the Fascinate only about an hr or 2 ago. I decided to download launcher pro again to try both because I do like the samsung UI, but I think launcher is a little more usable due to the sliding app tray at the bottom..

Long story short with launcher pro installed I hold the screen to add a widget, and there it is google search widget... IT IS BACK!!!!:icon_ banana:

I downloaded google maps from the market so now I can rock goolge nav, and search on this super cool phone. Now I just need froyo2.2 and chrome to phone etc...

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
That is good news on the Fascinate. No Google is not good. How about Google calendar, Chrome to Phone, any other Google stuff work/not work?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is because the widget its tied into the launcher, and not a separate app all together.

Sent from my Droid

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
That is good news on the Fascinate. No Google is not good. How about Google calendar, Chrome to Phone, any other Google stuff work/not work?

Yes everything else google works. You just have to download some apps like google maps which is free. Google voice etc..

The built in calender app sync's just like any other android app, it pulls info from google and facebook etc..

Yesterday when I started reading about no google... I just shook my head.. but found a way around it .. Only down fall to this method is if you like the Samsung UI and widgets..

Although I think the launcher pro Widgets and widgets you can download are better than the Samsung's

ylomnstr

Reaction score
So without launcher pro, there's no other way to get google search yet?

wtherrell

Reaction score
So without launcher pro, there's no other way to get google search yet?
On other forums where this method was tried--even though you press a google search button, the search is rerouted thru Bing anyway. So LauncherPro does not solve this. The work around is to put a shortcut to google.com on the home screen. Then search from the browser. Only way to get google search. Also reported you can download google voice search and it works just fine.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
wow your right it does take you to bing. I didn't notice I just used the voice search. That seems to be using google. If thats possible?

stevonyc35

Reaction score
i downloaded ADW launcher and that also allows you to use the google search widget. i use dolphin browser as my default browser too.
i read once the fascinate is upgraded to Froyo we can install google search.
can't wait to root my phone.