Google search widget

D

davidjmorin

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew how to have the google search widget be able to search my phone as well. I have the Eris and i see on the google sync demo they have the nexus and it does it there. so if in the search box you type bar it will display any application you have that has the word "bar" in it as well as contacts and then the search feature.

ive tried everything to make that hazppen but am at a loss now. is it only on the Nexus?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew how to have the google search widget be able to search my phone as well. I have the Eris and i see on the google sync demo they have the nexus and it does it there. so if in the search box you type bar it will display any application you have that has the word "bar" in it as well as contacts and then the search feature.

ive tried everything to make that hazppen but am at a loss now. is it only on the Nexus?

Did you try going to Menu>Search>Searchable Items? Make sure the things you want to be able to search are enabled there.

Also, not sure if the Eris has one, but I use the Magnifying glass on the Moto Droid to search instead.

If that still doesn't work, try the app "Power Search" It does a better job of searching phone content!

OP
D

davidjmorin

I dont see that in the menu as an option? i have all programs, scenes, add to home, wallpaper, notifications, settings

OP
D

davidjmorin

is it possible to update my phone to the android 1.6? I have the HTC Eris and i see that build is for mostly tmobile phones. but i know that i could update my Blackberry to other OS regardless of carrier.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I dont see that in the menu as an option? i have all programs, scenes, add to home, wallpaper, notifications, settings

Slightly confused...Not sure where you're at.

From your home screen:
Press menu
Press search
Press searchable items

Mine has:
Contacts
Browser
Apps
Music
YouTube
Google Sky Map [Which I downloaded]
AK Notepad [Also downloaded]

Are you trying to search the phone itself, or the SD card? [What exactly are you trying to find with your search, a contact, a note, an app?]

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
is it possible to update my phone to the android 1.6? I have the HTC Eris and i see that build is for mostly tmobile phones. but i know that i could update my Blackberry to other OS regardless of carrier.

As far as I know, there's no way to do that unless you root your phone...

OP
D

davidjmorin

Slightly confused...Not sure where you're at.

From your home screen:
Press menu
Press search
Press searchable items

Mine has:
Contacts
Browser
Apps
Music
YouTube
Google Sky Map [Which I downloaded]
AK Notepad [Also downloaded]

Are you trying to search the phone itself, or the SD card? [What exactly are you trying to find with your search, a contact, a note, an app?]

what i would like to be able to do is to have the ability to search my phone for contacts, apps, or web from the home screen just like in the demo here:
Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

if you click on the search it will show you a demo. if you type "bar" is shows the app barcode scanner, or the contact Barry. i want that feature available to me'

OP
D

davidjmorin

From your home screen:
Press menu
Press search
Press searchable items

Make sure the items you want to be able to search have a green checkmark...

yeah i def dont see that ability. from my home screen if i press menu i only see what i had stated above as options. other then that i dont see what you mean for search. Is that ability on the Droid Eris for VZW

OP
D

davidjmorin

From your home screen:
Press menu
Press search
Press searchable items

Found my issue
"while launching the praised Motorola DROID, [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]Verizon[/COLOR][/COLOR] also launched the HTC [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]Droid[/COLOR][/COLOR] Eris (HTC Hero) with HTC Sense user interface adding an awesome customization to the Android OS. The only drawback I noticed was that this phone debuted with Android version 1.5 while DROID debuted with 2.0 and all other network carriers are running 1.6. This means DROID Eris is lacking Quick Search Box, [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]VPN[/COLOR][/COLOR], new version of Android Market, among other features. However it’s noted that an over the air update will hit this phone soon!"

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
From your home screen:
Press menu
Press search
Press searchable items

Found my issue
"while launching the praised Motorola DROID, [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]Verizon[/COLOR][/COLOR] also launched the HTC [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]Droid[/COLOR][/COLOR] Eris (HTC Hero) with HTC Sense user interface adding an awesome customization to the Android OS. The only drawback I noticed was that this phone debuted with Android version 1.5 while DROID debuted with 2.0 and all other network carriers are running 1.6. This means DROID Eris is lacking Quick Search Box, [COLOR=#67AA00 ! important][COLOR=#67AA00 ! important]VPN[/COLOR][/COLOR], new version of Android Market, among other features. However it’s noted that an over the air update will hit this phone soon!"

I see! Glad you found what you were looking for. I have the Moto Droid, so I wasn't sure about this...Couldn't remember if my G1 [Which had the older version of Android] could do that or not.

Sorry I couldn't help!