Google search no longer works

joeybarclay

Reaction score
So I saw that there was an update for Google search I unistalled my Search.apk, rebooted and got the update. I can do voice commands with a long press but if it just try to do a regular search nothing happens. I can go into the market and find the search app and when I open it, it works fine. How do I get my search app to open using the search button? Should I uninstall my Google search app and just reinstall the one in UD settings or is there a way to get this working in the new update.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
If its name is voice search it is there but there is nothing called Google search in /system/app

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. Dumb question -- have you rebooted since you reinstalled and do you have the original app backed up so you can just reinstall it and try again?

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I don't have the app backed up but I have restarted I am thinking about wiping data and uninstalling via TB and then trying to reinstall from the market. On a side note I do not know were google search is on my phone if I want to remove it with root explorer.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I asked about rebooting because if you use the terminal you have to reboot to finalize any changes. :)

I saw instructions on how to uninstall it and the voice search via terminal in CM 6 without having to reinstall the latest version of the app pack, but I don't know if UD would have it in the same place, and with the godmode script the instructions would be different anyway. With that in mind, does UD come with an app pack?

Though those would probably be system apps, so you'd have to reinstall the ROM to get them back.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I hope I don't have to reflash I am going to try what I said in my previous post but I am waiting in case I need to do a Nandroid restore because I have low battery.
Edit: I may remove both voice search and Google search because when I look on the market there is only one so maybe both apps downloaded at once and because I didn't delete it, it screwed the other app.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Dang I just don't understand how the application can work but not get launched with the search key. Can I reflash my Rom without wiping anything and just have it fix the app that I screwed up or will I have to wipe?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You won't have to wipe. Shouldn't affect any of your settings, really. I flash CM nightlies over what I previously had all the time without any problems.

Might want to wipe data cache, however, but that's something you should be doing every couple of weeks anyway. :) As long as you don't wipe system data you'll be fine.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Where can I find the downloads of Google search so that I can move them to /system/app with root explorer. I believe that is why they are not working because they are in the wrong place.