Google Rolling Out Ability to Install Apps Directly from Search

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 19, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Very soon it will be even quicker and easier to install an app on your Android device. Google plans to roll out an update which lets users install apps directly from search results. This basically lets you bypass having to go directly to the Play Store entirely if you are confident you just want to install the app.

The folks over at Android Police were the first ones to report it. Here's a quote from their article with a few more details,
    It appears that the feature is still in the early stages of a wide rollout. Perhaps they are still doing some testing, or perhaps it is just taking a while to filter out to everyone. Either way, keep an eye out for the ability to use the feature.

2. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Yep. Just tested it out on my S6. It works as noted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Hasn't this feature always been there?

[​IMG]

4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I'm wondering if this is supposed to take the place of the tech they were previously working on?

Weren't they working on the ability to use an app from search results/etc without even having to install the app? Like if you're looking for a place to eat and there are Yelp results, I thought you were supposed to basically be able to launch the app from the cloud and not have to install.

Seems like these two technologies could counteract the effectiveness of each other.

Personally, I like the idea of running an app without having to download it more than a quick download link, especially for apps that I know I won't use on a regular basis, but might still find useful once in a while.