Google Releasing DIY "App Inventor" - App Creation Tool

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
You WILL get your invitation. They are VERY CLEARLY not giving out a lot at a time.

They are not limiting it to people with programming experience. I have NONE. I got my invite.

They are not limiting it to students/teachers. I work in state government and for Major League Baseball, I got my invite.

I'm still going through the sample apps to get a feel for it, it's definitely cool, and there are some limitations.

1) No multi-page apps -- everything is on the single page you're creating
2) You cannot edit the code itself
3) You cannot load the apps to the market

They are apparently working on changing those last two, and I'd figure the first one would be a very long-term improvement they may consider, but has to be low on the list of priorities.

camaro1173

Reaction score
I'm feeling the same way. For now I'm doing every tutorial then modifying the end result a lil bit. Simple stuff like combining the hello purr app and the kitty paint app so that every time you put a dot on the canvas the cat meows and when you draw a line the cat purrs. I'm hoping to find some inspiration by tinkering.

Good luck dude I hope you find something cool to work on!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

well at lest you can do something with it. I singed up the first day it came out and I have yet to here a thing about getting a invite,
Hope you find something to make.

ljprevo

Reaction score
Can it be redistributed? Someone willing to offer it as a download if so.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Can it be redistributed? Someone willing to offer it as a download if so.

It is not a download, it's a java console through the website. You need to have an approved account.

If you've signed up for an invite, you WILL get one.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Can someone share the executable?

It's not an executable, Its a web based application..

I just received my invite about 10 minuets ago.. Gonna give this a try later on when I have some time.

How did you receive your invite? Was it an email in your Google Account? I have been signed up for about a month, and nothing yet.

I'm the same way. I read the article a month or so ago and I'm still waiting for an invite. I've got a little experience with Java & VBS a while back but nothing yet.
I read somewhere the other day when I was checking it again that they plan on opening this up to everyone later in the year. They said end of summer, but based on the rate of everything else from Google, it will probably be delayed. :)
And as far as crap on the market, someone on that other site was saying that the apps may only be limited to personal use only. But maybe if someone writes one that is market worthy, maybe it can be submitted? Nobody knows for sure yet. I'd wager though that maybe 90% won't be worth much to anyone but the creator. Sometimes concepts in the mind don't always pan out well.
I think it will be much like the old WYSIWYG editors. Everyone could create a web page, but only a fraction of those were worth a darn. And those that were worth something continued while the bad ones died off.
To make decent apps for anything worth more than making a cat meow like the site says, you may need to understand Java a little more to actually dig into things a bit more to fix problems. Which is why I'm thinking that person was right about the apps maybe being limited.

solution

Reaction score
I got this email a couple of hours ago:

"Hi All,

We just enabled another batch of accounts for access to App Inventor.
Due to some technical difficulties the email notifications may be
delayed. So if you requested access, please feel free to try to login
at http://appinventor.googlelabs.com to see if your account is enabled
yet.

For those people who have not yet been granted access, we appreciated
your patience as we ramp up access to App Inventor.

The App Inventor Team"

Grapplerone

Reaction score
I have tried 4 times to get an invite with no success. I also NEVER received a Google Voice invite either; I seriously doubt they invite at random. I am beginning to loose interest in Google things.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to App Inventor for Android!

The Google account that you are receiving this email on has been given access to App Inventor.
We recommend you start your app building adventures by working through the Getting Started material. You might also want to read more about App Inventor and take a look at some sample apps. Finally, you can ask questions and get help by signing up for the App Inventor Google Group.
Thanks!

Google's App Inventor Team

Woot Woot*

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Got this E-Mail Today^ the "No Edit" in the news always gets me :icon_evil:

ljprevo

Reaction score
How long did you wait from the time you requested until you recieved?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Thank you!

I got this email a couple of hours ago:

"Hi All,

We just enabled another batch of accounts for access to App Inventor.
Due to some technical difficulties the email notifications may be
delayed. So if you requested access, please feel free to try to login
at http://appinventor.googlelabs.com to see if your account is enabled
yet.

For those people who have not yet been granted access, we appreciated
your patience as we ramp up access to App Inventor.

The App Inventor Team"

Hey all, try this! I never got an email after signing up back in early July but I went back to the site and clicked on "My Projects" and got in.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
All right guys, here's an app I threw together. None of you will find it useful.

I work for MLBAM, covering Orioles and Nationals games. I like to have a general idea of when the game will end, so I threw together an app that tracks how long the game has gone on, and projects how long it will be.

<a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SGVGVOAZ">Here's the link</a> if you want to check it out.

It's just something I made for myself. But that's what App Inventor is all about, isn't it?