Google Releases Gesture Search for Android

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Very cool!
Is there a notepad app that you can write messages? Any other apps that you can write in a similar way?

It works as an "input method" for virtually any app I've encountered. Notes, emails, browser, etc.

I don't understand. This is a search app for anything on your Droid. I'm asking if there is a notepad app that uses the same input method/technology.

allenajd

Reaction score
wow I like this. This is a must to have on my home screen and the first thing I see. I am constantly trying to find songs from imusic or from my music, or phone numbers, names, addresses or whatever is on my Droid. Its almost the only button I could need. (well maybe not the only one...)

M

Metalstud

I noticed that gesture will only display the first phone # of a contact, such as there mobile number but not the work or home number if the individual has more than 1 number assigned to the contact.

Seapup

Reaction score
I noticed that gesture will only display the first phone # of a contact, such as there mobile number but not the work or home number if the individual has more than 1 number assigned to the contact.

Just click the big name/number area of that contact (not the phone icon) and the rest will display.

Tinkerbell377

Reaction score
Gesture Scan

This is a cool app. I am new to all this, my 25 year old son gets a kick outa mom trying to learn to use her "new" phone! His is only a G1 ha ha ha (evil laugh).
I still cant find the Direct tv scheduler, I've typed in everything I can think of to find it but nothing, my quest continues.
Thanks to all you guys who are way smart at this kinda thing, I used to be. Our first computer in 1976 was a Tandy and ran on 2 5 1/2" floppies, we even had to write our own code, but that was a few years ago. I'll let the new generation blaze the way for now.
Best to all!:icon_ banana:

moot

Reaction score
Great app but its taking up a ton of battery. Used it for 2-3 minutes and already shows 10% on battery usage.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
As noted earlier in this thread, it appears that Swype virtually eliminates the need for the app. Kudos to Google for releasing it, but the only thing I do worse than type on a virtual keyboard is to draw on the screen.

jacestone40

Reaction score
This is a cool app. I am new to all this, my 25 year old son gets a kick outa mom trying to learn to use her "new" phone! His is only a G1 ha ha ha (evil laugh).
I still cant find the Direct tv scheduler, I've typed in everything I can think of to find it but nothing, my quest continues.
Thanks to all you guys who are way smart at this kinda thing, I used to be. Our first computer in 1976 was a Tandy and ran on 2 5 1/2" floppies, we even had to write our own code, but that was a few years ago. I'll let the new generation blaze the way for now.
Best to all!:icon_ banana:
How are you searching it is listed under DirectV...I have it installed on my phone have for about a month

J*Bishop

Reaction score
is anyone running into a force closure of gesture after downloading a new app?

Sleeve

Reaction score
It's a good thing there is more than one developer in the world. Otherwise, we'd all be searching for stuff with Swype, or in my case Shapewriter.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Would be perfect if they placed it inside the search button "blank" space between the keyboard and the search window text box

This is the same thing I was thinking. As a standalone app, Gesture Search doesn't really interest me because it duplicates functionality that is already present in the phone. For example, if I want to search for "Nancy" in Gesture Search, I have to open the app then swipe an "N". To do this without Gesture Search, all I have to do is click on the magnifying glass button and then click the "N" key on the keyboard.

Now, instead of duplicating functionality already present on the Droid, if Google integrated Gesture Search into the search capabilities and core apps of the Droid, I would be excited. They could ad an option to allow you to swipe a letter in the core search app above the keyboard. And even better, they could integrate this into search for all their core apps so that swiping a letter on-screen could virtually replace scrolling through large lists.

mendy817

Reaction score
Would be perfect if they placed it inside the search button "blank" space between the keyboard and the search window text box

This is the same thing I was thinking. As a standalone app, Gesture Search doesn't really interest me because it duplicates functionality that is already present in the phone. For example, if I want to search for "Nancy" in Gesture Search, I have to open the app then swipe an "N". To do this without Gesture Search, all I have to do is click on the magnifying glass button and then click the "N" key on the keyboard.

Now, instead of duplicating functionality already present on the Droid, if Google integrated Gesture Search into the search capabilities and core apps of the Droid, I would be excited. They could ad an option to allow you to swipe a letter in the core search app above the keyboard. And even better, they could integrate this into search for all their core apps so that swiping a letter on-screen could virtually replace scrolling through large lists.

clicking the magnifying glass button and clicking "N" is MUCH slower than simply opening up gestures and writing "N"... for me at least. i have better keyboard, so it takes a half second to pop up, and then since it searches the internet as WELL as my phone its much slower. swyping "N" in gestures is almost instantaneous. i think its a great app! (but that's just my opinion:))

gatorbait

Reaction score

clicking the magnifying glass button and clicking "N" is MUCH slower than simply opening up gestures and writing "N"... for me at least. i have better keyboard, so it takes a half second to pop up, and then since it searches the internet as WELL as my phone its much slower. swyping "N" in gestures is almost instantaneous. i think its a great app! (but that's just my opinion:))

I think the fact that you have Better Keyboard may be a cause of the lag in bringing up your search function because mine seems to be working pretty snappy. And I agree that the app and the technology behind it is very cool, but it would be awesome to have it integrated throughout the phones core search ability. You'd then have 3 options when doing any kind of search: type, swipe, and speak.

An example that would work if it was integrated into the phone's core search is that you'd be able to have the maps app open and looking around, then click the magnifying glass and swipe "P" to be able to search for pizza in the surrounding area.

mendy817

Reaction score
oh i completely agree... it needs to be integrated more, but on my device at least its quicker to open up the program and swipe than it is to search any other way (and it doesn't take up too much real estate because i use home++, so its kind of taken the place of my "dialer" button).

actually, that gives me a great idea... they need to make this an app! put a little 2x2 box where you can swipe to automatically search for things! that'd be neat