Google Releases Gesture Search for Android

G

gatewayad

I think it works great, it would be nice if you could set preferences> searchable items as to what order you would like the search to begin, I would like apps first then contacts, then bookmarks. You wouldnt even mutiple homescreens.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just tried the search button + swype combo and it is so much faster than using gesture search, not to mention I don't have to have the indexing service running the background taking up memory.

les017

Reaction score
Am I the only one having problems? Ever since I installed it, my Droid kept locking up and I had to reboot twice. I uninstalled it and everything is fine. I'm running BB v1.2 and Chevy's kernel 1.2ghz. Anyone else have issues?

I get FC on launch - running BB 7.5 @ 1GHz. Also nandroided back to stock and still get FC. Turned off Volume Control, Not Home Prefs and MyLock...now the FC is more sporadic.

Sounds cool but, as stated above, since it is an app and not integrated into the OS, I don't feel I am missing much, if anything.

Happystranger

Reaction score
No problems here, been running smooth since install. It's an awesome concept, but if you have the Swype trial apk running and you do a normal search, it kind of defeats the purpose of this app.

tdog7879

Reaction score
Ok, I just tried the search button + swype combo and it is so much faster than using gesture search, not to mention I don't have to have the indexing service running the background taking up memory.

I just try this too..and im going to have to disagree with the GS is alot faster and came up with more options...

searayman

Reaction score
Another one of those apps that's cool to show off but who is really going to use it?

actually i use it all the time. I had it replace the contacts icon on my phone. So much quicker for finding contacts when making a call etc.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another one of those apps that's cool to show off but who is really going to use it?

I'd use it if:

1) I could replace the search button with it
2) It had a button for the voice search

Cool app, but not terribly useful to me....yet.

brianr0131

Reaction score
this was supposed to be included natively in Donut... i thought they scratched it altogether. Thanks for the heads up. will try

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use it all the time now.

I got my wife a Droid this week and put it on her phone without her knowing and she used it 9 times today.

It's fantastic.

The Rick

Reaction score
Would be perfect if they placed it inside the search button "blank" space between the keyboard and the search window text box

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Very cool!
Is there a notepad app that you can write messages? Any other apps that you can write in a similar way?

dmo580

Reaction score
how good is this at detecting handwriting? is it like using a stylus with resistive screens? There are certain strokes you need to make for certain letters, or is it pure shape recognition?

I remember having to write certain letters a certain way in WinMo. oh that was fun.