Google Play Store To Replace the Android Market

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The update didn't really do anything but rename a few apps Market> Play store, Books> Play Books, and Videos> Play Movies.

The mu ket has not changed with the update. My DX is rooted and will not update but when I click on the market it Looks exactly the same as the Play store.

Not sure what the fus is except the name change.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

StephenH

Reaction score
The update didn't really do anything but rename a few apps Market> Play store, Books> Play Books, and Videos> Play Movies.

The mu ket has not changed with the update. My DX is rooted and will not update but when I click on the market it Looks exactly the same as the Play store.

Not sure what the fus is except the name change.

I don't know, but I noticed a significant lag in performance when it changed. If it were only a name change, it does not seem as if it would impact performance. There is obviously more to it than a simple name change. I could let it "upgrade" again to verify, but IIRC, the listing in the apps showed a large increase in the app size between AM and GP.

Market is showing Storage:
Total: 64.00KB
Application: 0.00B
Data: 44.00KB

Cache: 20.00KB

I'm going to let the GP update happen and post the difference in size when it is done........

Google Play Store version 3.5.15

Storage: 6.80MB
Application: 6.70MB
Data: 104KB

Cache: 0.00B

No difference except for a name change? I would say that there is quite a difference between 64KB and 6.8MB.

52brandon

Reaction score
WOW. That really surprises me. I thought play and the market looked and interact very similarly. But play came out right after I got a Galaxy Nexus, so the phone is clearly an upgrade, which helps explain why I thought that

StephenH

Reaction score
Droid A855 specifications listing:

Processor and memory

PROCESSOR TI OMAP3430
PROCESSOR CLOCK SPEED Up to 600 MHz
RAM 256 MB
SECURE STORAGE (APPROX) 512 MB
REMOVABLE STORAGE TYPE microSDHC
REMOVABLE STORAGE (MAX) 32 GB

Galaxy Nexus specifications:

• CPU: 1.2 GHZ dual core processor
  • Memory: 1GB RAM
  • Storage: 32GB
It looks like the storage is onboard. I did not see anything about adding an SD card to the Nexus.

Still, the difference between a single-core operating at maximum 600MHz and a dual-core operating at 1.2 GHz coupled with 256MB vs. 1 GB RAM means a significant difference in performance. Thus, the larger GP can't help but run slower on my original Droid A855.

Google Play Store, just sitting idle is using 6% of CPU time. That is more than the Android OS at 4% and Wi-Fi at 4%, Lookout at 3%, Bluetooth at 3%, Media at 3% and Gmail at 2%. I'm not sure why there is a separate listing for Android System at 16%, but Display at 46% takes the most, Cell Standby and Phone Idle are both 7%. Those are the only items using more CPU than Google Play Store.

When the GP "update" was originally released, I noticed an immediate slowdown. I posted a bug report to Google about that. However, what is there to do? Google isn't going to backtrack on this based on users of an "obsolete" phone.

rcguymike

Reaction score
Google please don't continue making worse what was once good...we don't care what you call it just let it work...geez people always have to try to be more "politically correct" when it's all BS to begin with.

perryinjax

Reaction score
Android Market vs. Google play store

I preferred the old name/image.. all the effort to build up the android brand, just to take the name of it's market away to something more generic like "Google Play"... I think the Google brand already gets PLENTY of exposure as it is.. and miss my little android buddy being the namesake of his own market :happy3:

52brandon

Reaction score
Droid A855 specifications listing:

Processor and memory

PROCESSOR TI OMAP3430
PROCESSOR CLOCK SPEED Up to 600 MHz
RAM 256 MB
SECURE STORAGE (APPROX) 512 MB
REMOVABLE STORAGE TYPE microSDHC
REMOVABLE STORAGE (MAX) 32 GB

Galaxy Nexus specifications:

• CPU: 1.2 GHZ dual core processor
  • Memory: 1GB RAM
  • Storage: 32GB
It looks like the storage is onboard. I did not see anything about adding an SD card to the Nexus.

Still, the difference between a single-core operating at maximum 600MHz and a dual-core operating at 1.2 GHz coupled with 256MB vs. 1 GB RAM means a significant difference in performance. Thus, the larger GP can't help but run slower on my original Droid A855.

Google Play Store, just sitting idle is using 6% of CPU time. That is more than the Android OS at 4% and Wi-Fi at 4%, Lookout at 3%, Bluetooth at 3%, Media at 3% and Gmail at 2%. I'm not sure why there is a separate listing for Android System at 16%, but Display at 46% takes the most, Cell Standby and Phone Idle are both 7%. Those are the only items using more CPU than Google Play Store.

When the GP "update" was originally released, I noticed an immediate slowdown. I posted a bug report to Google about that. However, what is there to do? Google isn't going to backtrack on this based on users of an "obsolete" phone.
lol, you don't need to post specs for both. I still have my D1 too. Is yours rooted?

finewine

Reaction score
I find it a very juvenile replacement name for branding. I prefer the android market. I dislike the new name!!!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Old story but have to ask. For those who remember the old google market how do you feel about google play now that you have used it for a few years?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like the browser version, but the mobile version is too cluttered.

The best part about Play now, hands down, is that they coded updates for apps to be smaller. I hated looking at updating apps that were large in file size because it meant downloading the entire app all over again.

I'm not feeling those weird colors of L either. The store looks pretty bad to me. Well that and every other material design app.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Old story but have to ask. For those who remember the old google market how do you feel about google play now that you have used it for a few years?
It looks like Google is doing their best to make the app as much of a cluster bomb as iTunes to me. It used to be very intuitive to use but now not so much and mostly I miss the ability to update all my apps literally at once. Even my old Inc on dsl had no problem updating as many as a dozen at the same time vs the one at a time method used now. That's my biggest missed feature of the old vs new.
Yes updating only the changes to the app is nice when I'm using cell data but it's not that big a deal to me. The newest version looks like it should have a disclaimer at the top "if you're over 40 you'll need your reading glasses before attempting to use this app".

Support Our Troops!!!
<><