Google Play Store To Replace the Android Market

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
androidplaystore.jpeg

Google Inc. is renaming the Android Market in a move to raise its profile in the market for electronic content sales, and to better compete with Apple and Amazon. The store will be rebranded as the Google Play Store. The rebranding is designed to make it more clear to consumers that Google offers a broad range of content, not just applications.

Some people see the Android icon on their homescreen and they think it's just for apps

The change is only fitting because in the past year and a half, Google has expanded their offerings in the Market to include digital books, music and videos. The ultimate goal is to bring more people to the Google Play Store. Chris Yerga, engineering director for Android Digital Content, summed it up nicely when he said "Maybe that person who is an avid book reader or music purchaser now becomes aware of 'Hey I can also get videos here, I can get games here."

Do you like the new Google Play Store name, or is it going to take a little getting used to?

Thanks for the tip akhenax!

Source and image via: Sun Sentinal

rmart88

Reaction score
Meh, I feel like this gives it more of a gaming connotation, rather than an "everything is here" image... I feel like I can get more at a market than a Play Store.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think they are over thinking. Most realize the app store sells more than apps and the word market usually brings to mind more than just 1 niche item unless it's a specifically named market.
Maybe it's just me but I think it won't help sales at all.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Android Market seems like an all-encompassing term to me. Perhaps they need to advertise their offerings a little better, if it is true that most people think the market only has apps (which, though we all know how ignorant the general populace can be, I find hard to believe). Some kind of change must have been in the pipe for awhile, considering all of the articles and statistics I see about how Android customers prefer to not pay for apps/etc versus their Apple counterparts.

Personally....I may be less inclined to browse the market for anything but games as I do now. And this is just based off of something idiotic....Google Play Store, Android Market. One is easier to say than the other, and doesn't sound as silly :p

razingkane

Reaction score
Google Music is now Google Play Music and Google Books is now Google Play Books.....hmmm, seeing a pattern here.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
When the Android Market changed to include movies, books, music...I knew it was not just for apps anymore. There was no need to change the name.

truebluebpb

Reaction score
I think Google Play Store sounds like e.g., Amazone Playland for little and bigger kids. Wouldn't attract me to it because of its name.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
What's with the "Play" moniker lol....And I also don't like how Market updates are forced. I'd have preferred the old market anyways, I have no desire to rent movies to my phone (and I don't pay for ebooks and music.....but that's a different topic)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Having seen Blackberry ads where the owners are saying that they have a Blackberry as they want to do serious work, well, calling it a "Play Store" just adds fuel to the fire.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this the Google PlayStore for the Blackberry Playbook?

jk

Artreas

Reaction score
I'm sure this is just part of a temporary marketing campaign. They'll shift naming conventions again in six or so months.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

quaffapint

Reaction score
Wow - What a horrible name - Sounds like something Microsoft would come up. Everyone knows what an app market is and that's what they look for - not something called 'Play'.

Reaction score
Went into manage apps, uninstalled updates for market, then opened market and accepted the terms, two minutes later my market and apps all changed. I now have play store, play music, play movies, play books.

Other than name change and icon change, everything looks the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk