Google Play Store Issue on an S3

Eleventhspade

Reaction score
Hello,

Just recently I purchased a Galaxy S3 (about 3 weeks ago). I was having a problem with my Play Store where I couldn't seem to download something--I'd click the download button but the screen would just flash and it wouldn't go through, no matter how many times I touched download. So I rebooted my phone and then opened the Play Store; the Play Store would open, but only for a split second and only with the gray screen background, then it would close. Then, stupidly, I tinkered around with the phone, going into the application manager, clearing the cache, clearing the data, resetting the defaults, and disabling the app, and after that, rebooting the phone, only to find that the Google Play Store was deleted from the phone. I then took got a copy of the .apk file from the internet and tried to install it. It told me it installed, but the "Open" button was grayed out and when i looked in my apps section, it wasn't there. I tried several times, once with an earlier version and another time by making a copy of the apk from my brother's s3 and putting it on mine, but nothing worked, and I don't know what to do from here.

Right now I'm surviving on the Amazon App Store, which I was forced to install when the Play Store was gone (from an apk, which succeeded, so I know .apk's worked), and let me tell you, it hasn't been pleasant.

Please help, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Go to settings - apps and scroll to all. Find the Play Store app and tap it. Tell it to clear cache and data then force close and restart.

Report back.

OP
E

Eleventhspade

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Go to settings - apps and scroll to all. Find the Play Store app and tap it. Tell it to clear cache and data then force close and restart.

Report back.

Thank you for beginning to assist me. Luckily, I messed around om my phone a bit and got the play store icon back, so I was able to follow your instructions.

Unfortunately, after doing as you instructed, im still having the same issue I was having before the play store was deleted, which is as follows:
The play store opens fine and then, when I try to download an app, and after I click accept, the play store just closes.

Also, you might like to know that just minutes before I read your post, I tried to download an app and got an error that read:
"null" unable to download due to an error. (906)

wcjeep

Reaction score
My S3 has done this twice in the past year. It clears itself after a day or so. I did nothing to resolve the problem. Wife's S3 has not done this.

OP
E

Eleventhspade

Reaction score
That, unfortunately, did not do the trick. And now, when I tap the play store icon to open it, and it opens for a split second, and not even fully. Also, maybe it might help you help me if yo u know that when my phone turns on, immediately, this message pops up:
Unfortunately, the process com.google.gapps has stopped.
This message pops up twice.

Thank you for the continued help. Hopefully a solution will be found...

sulyco43

Reaction score
Has there been any resolution to this problem? My Droid Razr Maxx is doing the same thing......
Also, when I reboot this message comes up:
"Unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
Thank you,

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Has there been any resolution to this problem? My Droid Razr Maxx is doing the same thing......
Also, when I reboot this message comes up:
"Unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
Thank you,

In that specific case go to settings app manager - all apps and find that gapps process. Tap it and tell it to clear the cache, force stop, then reboot.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Razr so I'm blowing in the wind here but attempting to help. You should see Google related processes including services framework and play services. Clear only the cache on those and restart.

sulyco43

Reaction score
Hi all,
Wow, what a weekend. I finally found some info on this at another site.
My total fix was to go to Apps, All, and all the way to the bottom of the list ...... My Download Manager was disabled.
I enabled it and now everything works awesome. Also, the "....... google.process.gapps....." error does not appear anymore.
Hope this info helps others also. Have a great week !!