Google Play Music and Amazon

Whitechapel

Reaction score
I've recently stopped... erm... downloading music through non-traditional methods. My library got out of control (untagged mp3s are the bane of my existence), so I decided to start purchasing music from Google Play every paycheck. I'd buy a couple albums each check, plus pick up anything cheap that I may like. But recently some of the albums I really want aren't available for sale on the market. And since I despise iTunes and their AAC format, the only other viable option is Amazon (unless someone can seriously talk me into iTunes). Is it possible to download music from Amazon and upload it to my Google Play account? Sadly Google Play can't give me everything I want, but I'm looking for a solution so I can have my cake and eat it too. What are your suggestions?

In a nut shell: I'm looking to pay for music from Amazon or iTunes and upload them to my Google Play account. I only want to use Google Play music player for my music.

On a side note, I can do it through Beatport. I like a lot of dubstep and while it may be expensive, it gives me what I need.

johnm93359

Reaction score
It sounds like this might be what you want to use. I have not tried it myself.

" When Google finally delivered Google Music to the United Kingdom, the search giant introduced a new feature that many were excited to see. They introduced the ability to automatically scan and match your music in order to add it to your Google Music account, all without the need to endure ridiculously long upload times or even initiate the process yourself. Well, Google has finally brought it to those of us who dwell in the United States. "

Full article at following link. Hope it helps.

Google Music cloud matching feature now live in the US

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I was thinking about the same because Google doesn't have a few albums that I want but Amazon does. Although with the new contracts that Google has scored lately, their selection has increased dramatically.

Also, I commend the OP for turning to legal purchasing of music....good choice sir.

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Fantastic! So I take it I can download the music to my computer, then just upload it? I was just concerned with the ability to download the music, and not just stream it from the cloud. Since I can download it, I'm all set.

I listen to a lot of heavy metal that isn't main stream, and Google may have one or two albums, but they don't exactly have everything I need. I searched Amazon and saw some of the album prices and was blown away. I was even more surprised that they had bands I didn't think they'd have.

johnm93359

Reaction score
I guess I'm more concerned with if I buy music from Amazon, can I upload it to my Google Play account?

I think the point of the service is that you do not need to waste time uploading it. If it is on your hard drive, google will find a high quality copy already on its cloud, and place it in your amazon cloud library for you. The feedback comments at the end of the article indicate that it is much faster than uploading. Readers were groaning because they wasted so much time uploading before this feature was available. The direct answer to your question seems to be yes you can. The method you choose it up to you.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! So I take it I can download the music to my computer, then just upload it? I was just concerned with the ability to download the music, and not just stream it from the cloud. Since I can download it, I'm all set.

I listen to a lot of heavy metal that isn't main stream, and Google may have one or two albums, but they don't exactly have everything I need. I searched Amazon and saw some of the album prices and was blown away. I was even more surprised that they had bands I didn't think they'd have.

Back when Verizon had their own music store they had an amazing selection of hard to find versions, obscure bands and live versions of things I never even knew existed. I was very very disappointed when they switched to Rhapsody.
While I don't condone stripping old drm material, there is a rather large selection on my desktop that no longer worked after Verizon switched and I had no choice but to strip the drm because I couldn't find the selections anywhere else.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano