Google Now...a useful tool

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Ok, so one of the features I slowly started to use more and more on my S3 was S voice. It's nice but it lacks and made me feel that this is one area that the iphone dominates. That was until I started messing with google now. Yes, that thing you most likely disabled on initial setup. After reading some articles on it I thought I'd check it out. After spending time trying to figure out how to turn on the widget, I realized what a useful tool it is. Give it it's due diligence and try it out.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I really enjoy Google Now. It's amazing how it automatically detects your "home" and "work" and roughly when you usally leave, then gives you a travel time/traffic report in the notifications. It will also show random local events happening around my area when something is going on. Live music or art fests or something. And of course none of this was there when I first started using it, and I really enjoy it now, so maybe it is pretty good at magically learning your interests. I look forward to seeing where it can really go after long term use, and what Google will do with that in future OS versions.

OP
Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Just for S's and G's, I did install the S vouce for the S4 about 2 days ago. It has a little differnt look and a little more capabilities but still doesn't compare to Google Now. Also, disabling S voice from home increases the speed ob opening and closing apps so that being said, Google Now is still where it's at. Here is a link on the article about disabling S voice from the home button.

http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/...er-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-and-note-2-0140065/

No.Division

Reaction score
How do you access google now? I can't seem to find it. Thx in advance for your replies.

Not sure if it's the same on all carriers, but for Verizon just hold down the home button and hit Google. And bask in its awesomeness :-D

Sent from my Galaxy sIII using Droid Forums

beckx020

Reaction score
I was giving a friend a showing of Google Now last night. Then showed how it could type for me. This was in a busy noisy hospital. He thought it wouldn't be able to tell my voice from everything else. Didn't put in any junk from other noises. Then I started laughing and it put in "haha" !!! Then we both started laughing.

I've been loving Google Now more everytime I use it.

coryrk26

Reaction score
Just for S's and G's, I did install the S vouce for the S4 about 2 days ago. It has a little differnt look and a little more capabilities but still doesn't compare to Google Now. Also, disabling S voice from home increases the speed ob opening and closing apps so that being said, Google Now is still where it's at. Here is a link on the article about disabling S voice from the home button.

http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/launch-and-close-apps-faster-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-and-note-2-0140065/

I noticed a fairly large improvement by doing this simple trick. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

OP
Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
How do you access google now? I can't seem to find it. Thx in advance for your replies.

You may have to open google search and then hit the settings button. In here you should be able to enable it. If you don't see a choice to put the Google Now widget on your home screen, it's most likely because you need to update your google search app.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Not sure if you do already, but you can also use an alternate launcher. With mine I have double tapping the home screen to open up the voice command part and holding the back button to open the app itself. And you don't even have to be rooted. Of course if you want to stay stock then your best bet would be adding an icon to one of your home screens, and perhaps someday a Google Now widget.

OP
Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Not sure if you do already, but you can also use an alternate launcher. With mine I have double tapping the home screen to open up the voice command part and holding the back button to open the app itself. And you don't even have to be rooted. Of course if you want to stay stock then your best bet would be adding an icon to one of your home screens, and perhaps someday a Google Now widget.

There is a Google Now Widget. It has been incorporated into the latest update of the Google Search App. I helped a buddy just yesterday with this because he didn't have the widget but I did. He just needed to update his search and there it was.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
There is a Google Now Widget. It has been incorporated into the latest update of the Google Search App. I helped a buddy just yesterday with this because he didn't have the widget but I did. He just needed to update his search and there it was.

Hm, only GNow widget I see just displays the weather for the next 2 days. I have like 100 widgets that do that. It also looks like that little widget takes up a whole page. If you tap it it opens the app up, but I'd like something that you can maybe scroll through to show news, weather, and nearby events, just like Google Now but in a smaller compact form that can fit on a home screen. I'm sure there's plenty more to come, so...