Google News Widget Problems?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I have no proof this is a Froyo problem, but it SEEMS ever since 2.2 my Google News Widget says "news unavailable" and it is stalled there after working fine for several hours. The I have to refresh and everything is then fine.

Am I the only one? this is the best news widget IMO. I'd to lose it.

ljholland

Reaction score
I dont think it's 2.2...I'm on 2.1 and stopped getting updates over a day ago.

harrellj

Reaction score
I'm using it currently with no problems, though I'm also using the transparent version with no weather display.

ljholland

Reaction score
Ah - I just uninstalled and re-installed and it's fine. That's never happened.

Harrellj - which weather app are you using that is transparent? The Incredible doesn't come from one but I installed the genie one (standard news and weather) from my old Droid.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up. I have not seem this issue yet.

Sent from my Cyberpolice headquarters

harrellj

Reaction score
Its the Genie widget itself. XDA had a metamorph with various transparent widgets. When I add the news and weather widget, I went with the news only option. I am using Beautiful Widgets too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ljholland

Reaction score
Its the Genie widget itself. XDA had a metamorph with various transparent widgets. When I add the news and weather widget, I went with the news only option. I am using Beautiful Widgets too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ahhh! Makes sense. Thanks

ljholland

Reaction score
To uninstall, you go into Settings --> Applications. Locate "News and Weather Widget"...then uninstall it.

To reinstall, you need download it:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/42609-trasnparent-genie-widget.html
(look in this thread for the file)

Once downloaded, you can install the APK file from your SD card by clicking on it in a file manager (e.g., Astro, Root Explorer, etc) or from the download list directly.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Wait is the Genie widget the same as the Google News and Weather Widget that came preloaded with 2.1?

I just checked the News and Weather widget in the manage apps section and I can't uninstall.

ljholland

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... It's not on the Incredible 2.1 load. That's why I had to load it afterward. Not sure how you'll pull it then.