Google "News and Weather" Widget Exclusive to 2.1?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
looks like a desktop switcher? its obviously on top of something, so maybe it's a new task switcher?

Supposedly it is activated by the grid icon at the bottom. Press the gird icon, a mini-preview of the 5 home pages popup (as shown in that pic) and you can tap which one you want to go to.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
No...not like that. I am saying don't worry. We will get our Wheaties.

If Android truly wants to compete with the iPhone app store, from this point forward...everything released up to 2011 and the beginning of 4G will have to be compatible for most Android devices. That and the fact that Droid has the largest customer base (and profit potential) of any modern Android devices is a guarantee we will get what we want.

If they splice the community of devices up in to fragments...developers will abandon ship. Google has no other choice.

I worry about the Droid getting future updates because ALL of the current Android phones (other than the Droid) do not yet have the 2.0 or 2.0.1 updates. I don't want the next big Android phone to come out and the Droid be forgotten. I'm not saying this is going to happen, I'm just saying I don't want it to.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Very BadAzz.....Future is looking brighter....

Silver Member
Reaction score
... although, i'm not crazy about the 3D cube design.

I am sure we will have the option to cube or not, IF any of this becomes reality :)
the cube apears to be the new application listing. so instead of paging through pages of icons, you flip the cube.

i'm not a fan. I dealt with that cube BS with HTC and WinMo. I hate it. Nothing beats scrolling.

Silver Member
Reaction score
looks like a desktop switcher? its obviously on top of something, so maybe it's a new task switcher?

Supposedly it is activated by the grid icon at the bottom. Press the gird icon, a mini-preview of the 5 home pages popup (as shown in that pic) and you can tap which one you want to go to.
well that's crap. i want the grid icon to be the phone dialer..........

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score
anyone else see this?

android-21---screens---engadget.jpg

i also like the soft key / dialpad / soft key there. no more "phone" icon on the desktop ftw!!!!!

Look more closely. You can easily see in the midle page a phone icon. The dialpad isn't to bring up a phone, it's to bring up the applications menu and the two dots on either side indicate that there are two more home pages on either side of the one you're currently on.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look more closely. You can easily see in the midle page a phone icon. The dialpad isn't to bring up a phone, it's to bring up the applications menu and the two dots on either side indicate that there are two more home pages on either side of the one you're currently on.

crap. i thumbed through the other images and there's still a phone icon. i thought i saw that it wasn't there.

do we really need more buttons to do what a swipe can do? that's lame. lol.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
... although, i'm not crazy about the 3D cube design.

I am sure we will have the option to cube or not, IF any of this becomes reality :)
the cube apears to be the new application listing. so instead of paging through pages of icons, you flip the cube.

i'm not a fan. I dealt with that cube BS with HTC and WinMo. I hate it. Nothing beats scrolling.

OK, I see what you mean now, although it could "waterfall" the apps towards you one row at a time (that would be cool) as you scroll through them, instead of "cubing"???

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Here is the same page with out the "mini-preview" showing

android-2.1---home---engadget.jpg

johnnieeve

Reaction score
At one point there was discussion regarding a late January 2010 upgrade for our Droid? Is that still on? Could that be 2.1?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
The more I think about the "Grid" icon I think it is still the "Apps" icon, partly because it is in the normal apps button location an becuase it is shaped liek a grid of apps.

After looking again at the Nexus pics, I beleive the "mini-preview" of the 5 home pages is brought up by the trackball on the Nexus (note pic above). and/or hopefully a press (or long press) of the Home button since the Droid doesn't have a trackball. This could also be HTC "sense" on top of 2.1 and not a part of 2.1.

Sure is fun trying to guess how it will work once (or if )we get it!!