Google Music Thread

rherron

Reaction score
I am intrigued enough by Google Music to start a thread.

What do people think about it? What's good? What's bad?

Here's my first major criticism of it:

It doesn't support gapless playback. The two seconds of silence inserted between tracks is unacceptable when playing live concerts (which is what I mostly play). Each track should transition seamlessly from one to the next. iTunes supports gapless playback though it didn't for a long time. Maybe I am overlooking a setting, but Google Music doesn't seem to support gapless playback, and that sucks.

G33kT0Th4D

Reaction score
I couldn't do without Google Music! I especially love how it will automatically add what you've just added in iTunes. And, you're not tied down to local storage... You could host it all online or download for offline use.

My only gripe is if you close music, you lose your place. I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks.

I do wish it had an API that others could work with easily... Like if someone made a boxer app... That would be awesome!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
And another thing...

Does not support WAV files. Does not support protected AAC files (i.e. stuff you buy and DL from iTunes).

And uploading is so, so slow. Been uploading for 48 hrs and it's only uploaded 4,300 songs. Looks like 4 days to go to upload my library.

lookEVO

Reaction score
I deleted it and froze the stock app. Was obnoxious and always cut out and would randomly stop playing for no reason.

doublea500

Reaction score
the app needs some work. The interface is not quick enough and its not as mobile as i would like it to be. if i want to see my library, i should be able to go there from any screen. And yea, it has gaps because it has to stream the song first. the gaps it currently has is actually really good. In an ideal world they would be gapless, but the phone has to connect to the "cloud" /google servers and stream the song.

I dont like how the app lacks features. no sleep timer... really?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my personal opinion of google music... i love it... the upload took... awhile(2 weeks for 17000 songs)... but streaming is great... i don't have gaps between tracks... as it caches the music on the phone... and i don't have to worry about track compatibility... i use only mp3 at 192kbps... so... i like : D

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought charley brown Christmas album on it for 2 bucks last night. i was so happy. ahhh the memories.

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
I think they may have encoded the albums TAO instead of DAO. This is a problem for live albums. If you're into music and bittorrents and live shows then you know. If they did they'll never be right. I've only looked at the one pearl jam show I DL'd. I could be wrong.
Took 6 days to do 13000 tracks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they may have encoded the albums TAO instead of DAO. This is a problem for live albums. If you're into music and bittorrents and live shows then you know. If they did they'll never be right. I've only looked at the one pearl jam show I DL'd. I could be wrong.
Took 6 days to do 13000 tracks.

What does this mean?

jcardona1

Reaction score
I love it. The app doesn't run too well on my D1 but it works. The free storage space is nice and songs sync right up on my phone. I use it for about an hour a day at the gym. Just wish the app itself wasn't so buggy.

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
Track at once.

Disc at once.

Google it. TAO pads tracks with 0s at the end (silence to your ear). This is a problem for live shows. Causes little micro pauses in the applause between tracks.

Also check etree.org.

Most people aren't going to care.

Last edited:

Alchemist945

Reaction score
Does anyone know if or how to load the songs on my SD card to it from the phone I want to free up my memory on SD card

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if or how to load the songs on my SD card to it from the phone I want to free up my memory on SD card

I think you can only load songs on the pc. I dont think it does it on your phone. My pc took a couple hours on a good net connection to load 1000 songs into the cloud. I think it does other stuff then just uploading.

Alchemist945

Reaction score
That sucks I got a bunch of music on my SD card I don't want to hook it up to computer to transfer everutime I do that all my ringtones get messed up and set to different ppl